16A sockets in workshop

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by jimwillsher, Mar 31, 2020.

1. jimwillsher

jimwillsher Member

Hi

I’m having a home workshop built. One piece of equipment - a table saw - is listed as having a 3Hp 2200w motor and needs a 16A supply. Model is a SIP 01332.

Distance from CU to 16A socket will be 12M and the cable will be in a cold roof space, with the final metre dropping down inside the wall to the socket. The wall is plaster, then 70mm PIR board, then 20mm cavity (for the cable) then ply, then cavity and block work to the outside.

I have currently run 2.5mm T&E cable. Should I instead have used 4MM? Would there be any upside or downside in swapping to 4MM other than cost?

Many thanks

Jim

2. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

3. jimwillsher

jimwillsher Member

Many thanks for the reply Comlec, much appreciated. I already had the manual from when I was researching the purchase, but I don't see anything in there that really answers my query, unless I'm just not seeing it?

10A is fine, I can have a 10A RCBO fitted, but I'm still unclear if I should use 2.5mm or 4mm cable. The plasterboard isn't fitted yet so I still have time.

4. Philip Hyde

Philip Hyde Screwfix Select

2.5mm will be fine.

jimwillsher likes this.
  5. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

2200W on 230v is 9.5A. if you use a 10 A fuse it will blow on start up. I suggest a 13A plug with a 13A fuse, that's what I have on mine. If you have issues and have to return it under warranty, just fit a 10A fuse in the plug for the return.

jimwillsher likes this.
  6. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

2.5mm cable is good for 20A. So unless you have any plans to add to the circuit in future then it will be fine.

7. jimwillsher

jimwillsher Member

Many thanks everyone, much appreciated.