16yr old Potterton - £389 heat exchanger?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by tasty fish, Dec 1, 2008.

1. tasty fish

tasty fish Member

Hi,
    I recently had a problem with my 16yr old Potterton Netaheat boiler. The pipes leaked damaging the heat exchanger.

I have Emergency Cover through my insurance company who sent a Homeserve engineer to have a look. He reckons a new heat exchanger would cost £389 +vat and take approx 4 hours installation.

Does this sound about right taking into account the boiler's age or are they taking the michael?

Any re-assurance would be much appreciated. The total bill's just under £700, £500 of which I'm covered for.

2. นิà¸

นิภNew Member

if you covered for it why do you care?

3. tasty fish

tasty fish Member

They're asking for £700 and I'm only covered for up to £500 plus replacing the heat exchanger may not fix the boiler so the costs could mount up, say upwards to £1000. I'd then have to fork out £500 by which time I could probably have paid towards a brand new boiler with the energy savings that provides.

The CORGI engineer who came round reckons a H/X would be around £150, not £380.

4. นิà¸

นิภNew Member

do you know the gc number? I can check for you

5. นิà¸

นิภNew Member

the fan is arounf 150 quid so i guess the heat ex to be around 350-500 without more info. old boiler i'd get a new one with no known safety issues.

6. imran_

imran_ New Member

Get it replaced, good for another 10 years. If that doesn't fix the problem then that WASN'T the problem so pay the engineer nothing. After all, you're paying him to FIX it!

7. tasty fish

tasty fish Member

Cheers for all the advice. Water poured thru H/X so they're saying that definitely needs replacing. However, they don't know if that will allow the boiler to fire up and it may need a PCB.

Will try and find out what the GC number is. What is GC?

8. Bit Of Advice

Bit Of Advice New Member

Stands for Gas council number, it identifies your boiler.

If it requires PCB is that extra or including? Is the boiler in overall good condition apart from the defects ??

They could change heat ex and pcb and then decide burner is damaged due to rust and corosion, so you could spend all this money and then have it capped.

If i was changing a heat ex on that boiler i would check to see if a powerflush would be benificial. Don't forget your boiler is stood at the moment so problems can arise when it is back working again, ie valves stiffening not opening, sludge build up etc.

Your in a difficult situation and can go either way, may be worth paying an hours labour for an experienced rgi to come and have a look at boiler / system and overall condition and discuss your options before going threw with work.

I would be thinking;

Will they guarantee the repair?? or when heat ex is fitted and there are blockages will they then sell me a powerflush??

If other things crop up ie leaks, burner damaged who pays for that??

If gas valve starts playing up who pays for that??

Is the boiler in good enough condition for this repair to be justified??

The boilers when working are very good, last a long time.

You could have new heat ex fitted and it be good for another 20 years, or you could end up paying a small fortune chasing constant problems that come up.

Just my thoughts anyway the other guys on here may agree / dis agree

9. Bit Of Advice

Bit Of Advice New Member

Just be careful also you no what your getting for your money;

As they will want card payment before the job gets booked in at a guess!!

10. Omniscient Polymath

Omniscient Polymath New Member

Hi,
    I recently had a problem with my 16yr old Potterton
    Netaheat boiler. The pipes leaked damaging the heat
    exchanger.

I have Emergency Cover through my insurance company
    who sent a Homeserve engineer to have a look. He
    reckons a new heat exchanger would cost £389 +vat and
    take approx 4 hours installation.

Does this sound about right taking into account the
    boiler's age or are they taking the michael?

Any re-assurance would be much appreciated. The total
    bill's just under £700, £500 of which I'm covered for.

Tasty Fish,

When you say pipes leaked, do you mean as they connected to the heat exchanger or the heat exchanger itself is leaking.

If the connections are leaking these can be taken off and reconnected, this boiler has a cast heat exchanger and for it to be knackered seems a bit odd, unless the connections have been leaking for years.

I would be more worried about the integrity of the boiler case as this is a positive pressure boiler and water sitting in the bottom would cause corrosion, also the main burner. I cannot see how the electronic unit or gas valve could possibly be affected as these sit outside the casing of the combustion chamber.

I surmise that Homeserve who are a large multinational will only be interested in replacing part after part which, you will see your bill increase. When the probable best solution would be to replace the boiler itself.

I had to repair a netaheat 10/16 electronic a few months ago and the electronic unit was no longer available through normal merchants. I do recall you could still get APH's, gas valve but can't remember if you could still get the HX.

My advice would be to bite the bullet and get an RGI to fit you a new boiler as I have the sneaky feeling, you could be looking at a handsome bill which, would've went a long way to a new boiler.

Like BG homecare, these insurance packages are not what they seem. I always say to customers, if you direct debit the same money into 30 day notice account, by the time you may have to claim you'll have a fair whack in it. Don't worry, you'll get someone fairly quickly to repair it, even BG at their £156 fixed price fix. At least after 7-10 years you'll even have enoug for new boiler and your not given companys like BG your cash and then find out they can't fix it for one reason or another, or they take days/weeks to attend, as a customer I know right now has been waiting 48Hrs for a new PUMP.

11. Easy Life

Easy Life Member

if you fix it you still have an old boiler, i would put the money towards a new boiler, with a stainless steel heat exchanger.

Jacen

12. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

£700 for a repair to an old unit...........mental!!!!!!!!
    Talk to your insurers, ask them if they would give you an allowance against replacement instead of repairing an old unit.
    If they are insuring it, it will be in their interest for you to have a new unit.
    I did it with a flat roof on my shop a few years ago, instead of paying the full price of the repair the insurers paid a part of the cost to renew.

13. rome60

rome60 New Member

Your decision but whilst the Neataheat is a great boiler i would recommend a new boiler,as said by others its an old boiler even with a new HE.;)

14. Bit Of Advice

Bit Of Advice New Member

Any boiler that king of age customers should not be spending more than a couple of hundred, as other parts can go in the end and you end up not far off the price of a new system.

Obviously if the customer cannot afford a new boiler then your not going to turn the work down.

As long as they are fully aware of future problems and costs.

15. Dick Puller

Dick Puller New Member

I agree with p&e, no debate, replace the boiler. A Netaheat positive pressure boiler is always better replaced. So, cancel yer boiler insurance, get three quotes from time-served Corgi RGI's, replace your boiler, even if you stick it on the 'plastic', you'll be far better of in the long run. You'll have a new safer boiler, save money on yer gas bill & sleep better at night.

16. ripitout

ripitout New Member

Potterton Netaheat boiler. The pipes leaked damaging the heat exchanger

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

total cr@p,

if the rear entry male iron connections leak on these they will rot out the backplate first.

if it is the heat exchanger thats leaking i would look at the two rubber end gaskets first.

only 16 years old.....its just run in then!

17. นิà¸

นิภNew Member

With the known safety issues I would get some local guys in to give you a quote for a replacement boiler. In the long run you'll be better off with a new efficient and safer boiler. I have seen many of these rot at the rear and need replacing. You would be very suprised at how much CO these beast can pump out when the case is not fitted correctly. I am aware of one incidence where customer took case off himself and didnt put it back on properly and 3 days later he was dead.

18. hallbeck

hallbeck New Member

For me - the day it costs more than £1200 in parts to fix a boiler is the day to replace it.

19. Glad its Friday

Glad its Friday Active Member

Lots of good advice given. Audi-evo has the best idea, paying all that to fix an already old boiler is madness even if they do go on for years (mine is 25 years old now and still A1). But they are inefficient and gas prices are only going 1 way….

20. Northwest gas svc's

Northwest gas svc's New Member

If its a 16 year old neataheat its probably a neataheat profile and not the OLDER neataheats that were positive pressure that everone on here is summising.Does it have a brown metal panel at the bottom with a sliding glass door or a grey plastic panel with the boiler thermostat sticking through it ?
    If its the former,replace the boiler.If its the latter fix the boiler( I'd quote bout £600 all done, new pcb, serviced,inhibitor added, the works)