170 degree blum hinges for 27mm thick doors....

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Mr Mike, Mar 26, 2008.

1. Mr Mike

Mr Mike New Member

.....Evening one and all....

...Anyone know where I can source 170 degree opening blum hinges for doors 27mm thick.....

....Have already tried Woodfit & Hafele.....

Any ideas ?

Many thanks in advance.....Mikw.

2. gna03633

gna03633 New Member

3. jasonb

jasonb New Member

Thats quite a thick door for concealed hinges, most of the tech details suggest trial runs for doors much over 22mm. If possible it will take a bit of playing with edge drilling distance, door gap and corner radius.

If its just a singel door or a pair of doors you may be lucky, the problem will be the door hitting the adjacent one as it get near to fully back if its in a run of doors.

Blum make a couple of hinges for thick doors but not with that amount of opening.

Jason

Jason

4. cowboy dave

cowboy dave New Member

can you use kitchen door hinges?

5. Mr Mike

Mr Mike New Member

Thanks gna, but they're not suitable for doors 27mm thick.

I bought similar from Hafele.

6. Mr Mike

Mr Mike New Member

Thanks Cowboy Dave, but 170 deg blums kitchen hinges again aren't suitable for the thickness of door I've made....

7. Mr Mike

Mr Mike New Member

Thanks Jason.

I used blum clip top profile hinges from woodfit on 20 of the doors that only needed to open 90 degs. These have been fine used adjacent to each other on 27mm doors.....but I need 4 of the doors to lie flat back when open (for TV housing)....(well nearly flat)....170 degs is fine.....but as you say, the standard hinges are no good for my 27mm doors.

I did source a set from Hafele, that would supposedly accommodate doors up to 26mm, but from the literature, it seemed pretty clear that anything over 21mm couldn't be guaranteed.

I spent a few hours with mock up doors & trial tests, varying the edge drilling distance and mounting plate from edge distance but to no avail.

I've decided today to just make new thinner doors for the TV housing....and use the Hafele hinges. When closed they will be flush with their adjacent doors and will look fine.

You live and learn as they say.....;)

8. murrmac

murrmac Member

I spent several years in Miami making and installing "entertainment centers" and we invariably used flipper doors for the TV housing.

9. Mr Mike

Mr Mike New Member

I'm not sure what flipper doors are murrmac.....?

If they're like pocket doors, then I didn't have the depth in the cabinet to use those......

10. jasonb

jasonb New Member

Pocket & flipper are the same thing.

If the doors are already made could you not cut a wide rebate down the hinge side so that the cup part of the hinge sits within the rebate, if the rebate was say 7mm deep and you moved the mounting plates 7mm forward that would be the same as making thinner doors but less hastle.

Jason

11. murrmac

murrmac Member

my recollection is that we used to construct the TV housing well proud of the rest of the unit, so that the flipper (pocket) doors would in fact slide back out of view.

obviously the advent of flat screen TVs will have altered this mode of construction radically, I suspect that some form of tambour door would be the best option these days ...

12. Mr Mike

Mr Mike New Member

Hi Jason,

By jove, I think your suggestion would work......can't see why not. Though rather than a rebate the length of the hinge side....I think I'll just rout out some neat squares 7mm deep and bore new 35mm holes in these rebated squares....then move the mounting plates forward on the carcasses.

In theory, there's no reason why it shouldn't work.....and yes...much less hassle.

No why didn't I think of that......:)

Thanks for the tip.