18mm MDF v 11mm MDF braced?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by graham harwood, Nov 1, 2019.

1. graham harwood

graham harwood New Member

I need a very flat surface for a table top football game (Subbuteo if you remember it!) and am looking for advice. I'd like opinions on the best material for resisting warping and movement. Would 12mm MDF with batons underneath be more stable than straight 18mm MDF? Can't baton the 18mm MDF for other reasons.

2. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Technically you may increase the risk of warping if you use battens that are made of a different material as they will absorb moisture and/or expand/contract at a different rate unless you fixed the battens with a method that allowed them to move such as slotted screw holes. That said I'm not sure if it would be noticeable - just feasible.

How big does the surface need to be and is there a restriction on the depth/thickness?

3. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

Why not look for an old pool table.

graham harwood and KIAB like this.
  4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
  5. graham harwood

graham harwood New Member

Thanks, there is no real restricton on the depth and the size as suggested is nominally 1.5 m X 1 m. The pool table suggestions is very good thank you.