18th Edition

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Bloomin Scarper, Jul 28, 2018.

1. Compulsory viewing from JW :p

seneca likes this.
  2. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Very interesting insight into the 18th. edition. I will get the book soon as I have no intention of doing an 18th. edition course, i'm quite sure i'm capable of reading and understanding the requirements and working to them. It will mean that I will be dropping my scam membership later in the year, most of my work is non notifiable so I see no point in giving them another 500 quid plus the cost of a course, although I know I qualify for the shorter course having already done 17th. and amd 3.
    Anyone else planning to go this route?

BiancoTheGiraffe and Jord86 like this.
  3. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

I wont be doing the course or buying the book until our scammer has sent the "final final FINAL threatening to kick us out but they will give us one last chance" letter.

Sparkielev and seneca like this.
  4. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Trouble for me is that I could pay the yearly fee in October but my assessment isn't due until December and they probably won't pass me without an 18th. cert. and by that time i'll have already paid.

5. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Can't you just do the exam? When I did my 16th fifteen million years ago it was open book, prob still is. I mean, it was pretty hard to fail it tbh.

6. spinlondon

spinlondon Screwfix Select

18th doesn’t come into force until January 2019, so you should be ok.

7. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Yes I think my 16th. and 17th. were open book Col, it was just a case of finding our way around the book whithin the time available wasn't it.
    The slightly harder one was the 2391 because that wasn't multi choice, all the answers had to be written out!

8. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

That sorted the men from the boys lol.

Kind regards

seneca likes this.
  9. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Like most sparks im sick and tired of shelling out for scam fees, courses, bòoks for a trade that isn't regulated, i wouldn't mind if it was but lets be honest most people have a go at it there is no come back if anyone messes up it been like this for years and it not gonna change

seneca likes this.
  10. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Man alive the one that still gives me nightmares was the discrete maths module at uni. Things like describe a row of parallel lines and then use induction to prove them. WTF?

seneca likes this.
  11. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Remember doing my city and guilds everything written in exam showing calculations now it guess the answer on a computer exam total sh@%te

12. John Southcombe

John Southcombe New Member

Yes, you can just do the exam. Did my one last week

13. spinlondon

spinlondon Screwfix Select

Any details, name of college/exam centre, cost?

14. John Southcombe

John Southcombe New Member

15. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

16. sparkykent

sparkykent New Member

I'm not buying yet another regs at £80 especially when they have left blank pages for future updates,so if they know there are going to be further updates why don't they just wait until the updates are printed in the book before you sell it??? It's legal robbery and a massive scam

BiancoTheGiraffe likes this.
  17. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Are you registered?

18. sparkykent

sparkykent New Member

What has that got to do with it?

19. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Indeed. Probably not that much. It's your life.

However, if you ARE registered then you owe it to your customers/registered body to keep yourself up to date with the current regulations. I would expect it to be a condition of your membership.

If you are not, and it would seem as if you are a practicing spark given your recent postings, then you are nothing else than a cowboy.

20. sparkykent

sparkykent New Member

I stated I wouldn't be buying the regs and never stated that I wouldn't keep myself up to date with current regulations so keep your snidey comments to yourself and learn to mind your own business. I knew you were a wrong un when your first question was 'are you registered?' Nosey old git