1950 house, what is this vent pipe exiting through the roof

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by lloyd_christmas, Aug 24, 2019.

1. lloyd_christmas

lloyd_christmas New Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Hi, I'm trying to figure out what this is for ,the neighbouring houses built in the same style also have this feature.

The iron pipe exits through the roof, it is visible in the loft space and there is a boxed in bit in the rooms below down to the ground floor (following path of red line)

I have drilled holes into the boxing in and pushed a camera in and the boxing is empty.

The ground floor is all solid floors. The house was built in 1950 as an MOD married quarters.

Any ideas?
    https://flic.kr/p/2h4Mxhq

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
  2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Soil vent pipe I reckon.

3. lloyd_christmas

Thanks, but soil pipe is the other side of the house

4. blarblarblarblar

blarblarblarblar Active Member

Possibly an old vent. Go into the loft and see if it’s connected to any thing.

5. lloyd_christmas

It isn't connected to anything. Even so, what would once have need to be vented from ground level, up through the house when surely there's an easier way?

6. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

probably not a wood burner it could be old gas fire or boiler

7. lloyd_christmas

The boxing in on the ground floor is in the corner of the living room, right next to an original doorway. No room for a boiler or anything else near that location.