1960's stopcock

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by mid life crisis, Aug 20, 2004.

1. mid life crisis

mid life crisis New Member

Hi
    Had a bit of a flood in my kitchen a month or so ago when my stopcock failed. Incoming pipe is black plastic and looks to be 20mm. There is nowt wrong with the main body but the actual tap that is screwed into the side is siezed solid. It looks a ***** of a job to replace the whole lot and i wondering if just the tap could still be sourced? I will be an imperial size for sure. If i could find just the tap i could sort it out in 5 mins.

Thanks in advance

Mart

2. Bahco

Bahco Guest

Pipe is old 3/8 bore.
    You will not get a stoptap for this except in an antique shop!
    Purchase a compression coupler from good plumbers merchants ( you will have to scout around approx 18mm x 15mm best to take small sample of pipe) or use plastic coupler from Travis Perkins.
    Turn off water at boundary, remove old stoptap, fit coupler, come off with few inches of copper and fit a new stoptap.
    Jobs a good un

3. mid life crisis

mid life crisis New Member

Thanks for the reply Bahco.
    Sorry i haven't got back to thank you earlier, i have had my daughter in hospital for a very nasty hip operation.
    When i get some time to myself i will look into these plastic couplers. I still don't know what they are but i will pop over to TP and ask advice.
    I will let ya know how i got on

Thanks again

Mart