2.4m long guide clamps?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by skinny d, Jul 1, 2008.

1. skinny d

skinny d New Member

Hi, I do a bit of woodworking from time to time, mainly rough stuff, nothing fancy.

I need to make a load of wooden boxes out of 1/2" and 3/4" ply, just simple screwed and glued. I'll use a circular saw to cut the ply and have had much better results when cutting against a strip of metal clamped to the top of the ply with G clamps. Turns out you can buy these and they're called "guide clamps" - funny that.

Anyway, the longest I can find is 1.2m long but I definately need to make cuts along the long edge of a 4x8 board. Where can I get a longer guide clamp from?

Many thanks, Dave

2. jasonb

jasonb New Member

50" is as long as I have seen. If you want longer than you will need a guide system such as the festool or maffel but they really need separate clamps.

Axminsters do a 2895mm long rail that has two sliding bits that allow you to clamp it without separate clamps but its not as easy as the cam locks on the guide rails.

Jason

3. evo nut

evo nut New Member

hi skinny d,

you could get a plasters feathedge at 2.4m long and clamp on with some clamps

as jason be says a plune cut saw have guide rails which is a £££ option

as you say ' rough stuff ' a feathedge may be the way to go wth two clamps

or even a straight piece of timber, have to be straight though!!

hope that helps

evo nut

4. evo nut

evo nut New Member

5. cabinet

cabinet New Member

Would it be worth considering purchasing the plywood from B&Q and have them cut it for you?

6. screwfox

screwfox New Member

I clamp one piece of 8x4 on top of the other and use that as a guide.

7. skinny d

skinny d New Member

Hi, thanks for the super swift replies.

I currently use a plasterers feather edge clamped on but find that the clamps get in the way of the saws motor if I saw with it on the same side as the edge. I'd seen the guide clamps but just wondered if there were 8' ones like my feather edge.

I'll have a look at the axminster system as sometimes I dont keep enough sideways pressure onto the edge and I dont get a straight cut (only once or twice). Looks like having a rail and a carriage on it would work nicely.

Many thanks, Dave

8. i hope this works

i hope this works New Member

9. skinny d

skinny d New Member

Hi, I like the look of the basic one , suits me nicely as I can collapse it in to two parts for putting in my van and will make cutting across the short edge of a board nice and easy.

Just wondering how thick it is as I'd like to be able to cut with the rail under the body of the saw at times?

Cheers, Dave

10. cabinet

cabinet New Member

Just wondering how thick it is as I'd like to be able
    to cut with the rail under the body of the saw at
    times?

Cheers, Dave

I don’t think the technical guys at Axminster have a policy of, publicly flogging or boiling in oil potential customers who ask questions regarding there products.

11. Doink

Doink New Member

12. enjay

enjay New Member

Next time you buy a sheet of plywood, rip a 150mm wide strip off the side and hey presto you have the perfect straight edge for next to nothing.

13. cabinet

cabinet New Member

Next time you buy a sheet of plywood, rip a 150mm
    wide strip off the side and hey presto you have the
    perfect straight edge for next to nothing.

The OP as been told that opion by a number of members, but he says the board is too narrow and his circular saw keeps hitting the clamps. Its seems a wider board and his clamps turned upside down is not hi-tec enough.

14. skinny d

skinny d New Member

I reckon thats what I'll do for now Cabinet. I'll see what axminster say about their 2.5m thingy.

Cheers for all the info, its spurred me on a bit with this box making and there are some interesting videos on you tube on woodworking and festool kit and stuff. Dave

15. Zapette

Zapette New Member

Reverse cut right to left with the other edge of the saw against your 150mm guide piece. You don’t have to reach over the board either then...

...unless you’re a left hander

ZZZ

16. two by one

two by one New Member

17. skinny d

skinny d New Member

Cheers two by two, I watched this video then made one this morning and have used it all day for making my boxes. Excellent and does exactly what I want. Many thanks, Dave