2 cold storage tanks in loft.

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Rory the Scot, Jun 25, 2007.

1. Rory the Scot

Rory the Scot New Member

Can someone please help me. I've just finished helping my brother in law put a power shower in to his new house.We put a new seperate cold tank in to feed the cold water to the shower but he insisted we put it under the old one.
    I don't know if that's right or not,I thought that because the the hot water is fed from the old cold tank through the hot tank to the shower head that the new cold tank would fill up from the old cold tank because water always find its level.and then overflow!

2. bathroom boy

bathroom boy New Member

No it's wrong, should be linked level, you can't have one tank feeding the hot and the other cold, if the cold develops a fault and runs dry, there is a risk of scalding.

3. Lawton

Lawton New Member

Would you mind telling me if you had to fit a flange to the cylinder or is it possible to install without going to the trouble?

4. Rory the Scot

Rory the Scot New Member

I didn't know they had to be linked, thanks.
    but if they were left unlinked and not moved would the higher one fill the lower one through the shower head.the reason I ask this is it sounds right but i'm not sure if it's true.

5. Rory the Scot

Rory the Scot New Member

I followed the instructions and fitted a T piece in to the 45 degree part of the vent pipe facing downwards.

6. Lawton

Lawton New Member

7. Rory the Scot

Rory the Scot New Member

Go to www.salamanderpumps.co.uk and look at the instructions for the ct/75 pump on page 1 of the fitting instructions in downloads.

8. Lawton

Lawton New Member

Cheers mate, good option the flange means mucking about with the cylinder connector just want to avoid drawing air in through vent.

9. tgs

tgs New Member

The best way is to put the new tank at the same level as the old one. Bring the cold mains supply to the new tank (remove from the old tank) and use 2 22mm pipes to link the two tanks. Make sure the supply on the new tank is on the opposite end to the outlets and the new inlets on the old tank are on the opposite side to the outlets.

Then use the outlets on the old tank to supply the cold to the mixer and the cold to the HWC. The cold to the mixer should be a little lower than the cold to the HWC.

This way the water comes into the new tank, flows through both tanks and out. This is necessary to stop any stagnant water forming in the tanks.

10. Rory the Scot

Rory the Scot New Member

Your welcome, It works a treat with this one, don't know about any others though.