2 cylinders linked together

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Total Plumb, Aug 24, 2010.

1. Total Plumb

Total Plumb Member

Hi

I have a customer who has the tank and cylinder in the loft. The problem they have is that they only have a small cylinder in position and they are not getting enough hot water. I cannot fit a bigger cylinder in due to the height of the header tank (And it cannot go up any more). I have suggested a horizontal cylinder then we can gain double the literage but the price is a bit step. Dont mention a combi because they have just had a new boiler installed. They have asked me to add another cylinder on to the system so they would be working side by side. Does anyone have any info on this set up and if it can work as I cannot see how. Antother plumber has quoted to do this set up. I cant see how it would work.

2. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Usually in this situation it is more cost effective to fit an electric under sink water heater in say the kitchen and maybe an electric shower in a bathroom or add a separate direct cylinder run by an immersion...You obviously could convert the whole system to unvented but that would probably be too expensive?

3. Total Plumb

Total Plumb Member

Im damned if I do and damned if I dont. Have you ever seen a 2 cylinder set up Leaky??

4. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Yes, I have even put them in, usually you need 1 x 3 port and 2 x 2 port valves controlled by individual tats, a bypass too.

Too be honest it's more hassle than it's worth.

Either

A) convert to unvented - then the cylinder does not need a header or can go elsewhere or

B) Add supplemental HW from alternative sources as suggested.

5. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

stats! not tats! :)

6. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

I prefer Paps me sen!

7. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Mammys Baps for me!

8. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

I prefer the younger firmer variety TBH!

Mammy's will do later on when I've worked up an appetite! ;)

9. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

* This * more your kinda thing Sine?

[Edited by: admin]

[Edited by: admin]

10. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

spoilsports! :(

11. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

'twas a delightful shot of that cleaning lady - aggie - in the pool in IACGMOOH!

12. G Brown

G Brown New Member

As advised, 1 3 way and 2 2 way valves each controlled by a the cylinder stats - then find a competent electrician to wire them up!

13. heatyman

heatyman Well-Known Member

Thinking outside the box, take your larger cylinder, lay it horizontal,with the normal cold feed connection pointing upwards, put your cold feed into the normal outlet and use the normal cold feed connection as your outlet. Have used this configuration on boats where height restrictions are also a problem. may not recover as quickly and you need a couple of stands, but saves all the complicated valve and wiring.

14. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

It wil probably collapse!

15. palavaman

palavaman Well-Known Member

It will probably collapse, is being nice:p

it shall collapse. In applying UR theory, did you consider Stratification in cylinders?

16. palavaman

palavaman Well-Known Member

If horizontal reqd, why not try here

17. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

The best solutions are usually the simplest ones! Horizontal cylinders are never very good. Just add additional hot water sources to reduce the demand on the cylinder.