2 gang faceplate with FCU and DP switch

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by SpaceTofu, Feb 20, 2020.

1. SpaceTofu

SpaceTofu Member

Ok, odd question.

Would there be anywhere on the market a 2 gang faceplate comprising a 13A FCU (for the hood) and a 45A DP switch (for the cooker)?

Not sure what went wrong in the process and if the leccy cocked up or the builder, but the two 1gang backboxes we have in our kitchen have been placed literally butted up against each other. So I won't be able to screw in two separate 1gang faceplates, unless I were to cut the plastic, which I'd avoid if possible.

Thanks

2. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

You could look for grid modules, but the two boxes butted together are unlikely to have the same hole spacing as a double plate. have you checked the measurements?
    You, or they, should be providing a dual box, or space the two singles correctly. Surely their electrician will have found this when they did second fix?

EDIT. There is no regulation to say that a DP switch for a cooker is necessary. You could just cover that with a blank plate.

3. SpaceTofu

SpaceTofu Member

I had measured and, compared to a 2 gang, it is off by one or two mm top if I recall correctly, so I was thinking it should be achievable; I could always use some pliers to bend the metal a bit to my liking.
    Of course I would saw off the "internal" sides of the backboxes if I were to use a 2 gang.

I thought of modules, but then I just wanted to resolve the matter inexpensively if possible!

4. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Ok, odd question. (See what I did there) :)

Why are you sorting this out and not the leccie / builder (if this is relating to new kitchen works) ?

Are walls finished yet, ie decorated/tiled of just plastered ?

5. SpaceTofu

SpaceTofu Member

HI @DIYDave. very clever! :D

If you ever dealt with builders and leccies, you perhaps will know the answer.
    Leccie was called anyway through the builder so we don't have much of a direct contact with him.
    Builder has finished (almost) the job and the installation and decoration of the kitchen is on us anyway; and at this stage this little problem has come unfolded.
    So yes, I could pester him with calls until he comes to fix it, but it would probably mean that in 2021 we still won't have a kitchen. :confused:

6. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Yep fair enough Tofu, great name by the way !

Been in similar situations in the past with a snagging list or simply poor work and agreed, not always straight forward to get resolved what after all, your paying for

Why i was asking what state are the walls at, if simply plastered, you could simply move over one of the boxes by 20mm or so then stick with 2 separate 1G faceplates as was the plan

SpaceTofu likes this.
  7. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

Only needs a small movement and a DUAL backbox installing

Or

Scolmore Mini-grid should be able to provide what you need.

8. SpaceTofu

SpaceTofu Member

the mini-grid switches are rated 10 Amp max, so no good for a cooker
    About installing a dual backbox, it's no help as I cannot find a dual FCU + 45A DP switch

9. SpaceTofu

SpaceTofu Member

not just tofu, spacetofu even :p
    sorry! walls are plastered and mist-coated, currently undergoing the first coat of paint.
    Indeed I could hack off a bit of wall around the backboxes and reposition one of the two singles, but I was hoping to find a dual FCU + DP, as it would have been much easier job!
    Getting the chisel out is my last resort - but the most likely one to happen I fear.

10. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

Some of te MiniGrid are higher rated - have certainly seen 32A

If you fit a DUAL back box, you fit individual FCU and 45A DP switches and they sit tight against each other.

SpaceTofu likes this.
  11. SpaceTofu

SpaceTofu Member

I see,you mean article 48234.
    Probably a tad easier than re-fitting two singles, thanks for the tip.
    I think one of the single I currently have though is 47mm, to allow space for the thicker cooker cables. Would he cooker cable fit decently in a 35mm depth BB, as the dual is indeed 35mm?

12. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

You can sink a 35mm back box deeper into the wall. Just need longer screws.

13. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

u can fit the thicker cables in a 35mm box. It just needs a bit of planning on how you lay out the conductors.

but, as I said, you to not need a switch at all. Join in the box and put on a (cut down) blanking plate.

BUT, I know how I would approach it. Your builder still has work to do. So you haven’t paid his final bill. Tell him to sort it, then you’ll pay. It’s not your job to resolve!

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020