2 gang to a 1 gang

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Laura Kempen, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Laura Kempen

Laura Kempen New Member

hi

I’m currently changing my light switches to WiFi switches to work with Alexa. My kitchen switch is a 2 gang switch and dimmerable (2 switches) Can I can this to a 1 gang and how? Or does it have to be a 2 gang switch?

Also at the top of my stairs is 1 gang 2 way switch so it can be turned on/off at the bottom and the top. Can this be changed to any switch or are there 2 way switches? There’s currently 2 yellow/green wires in each.

2. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Well-Known Member

Some photos would be good for starters Laura.

I must ask, why anyone would want that intrusive device in a household is beyond me, its gathering information and marketing you through Google and Amazon not to mention eavesdropping on your conversations.

Alexa. not for me, hopefully someone might be along to help you

S

Dr Bodgit likes this.
  3. Gluggy

Gluggy Member

Another one here that's not yet convinced about the whole digital assistant thing, home automaton maybe but without the privacy / security issues.

Back on topic TP-Link do some WiFi switches that look ok for the hallway light - the link is for the US region but may sell similar over here. https://www.tp-link.com/us/products/details/cat-5622_HS210-KIT.html

4. Pollowick

Pollowick Well-Known Member

That worries me. Can you provide a picture.

5. Comlec

Comlec Well-Known Member

Why replace a reliable and simple control system that cost <£2 with one that costs hundreds to install and requires subscription services to maintain it?

6. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Well-Known Member

I'm not even having smart meters installed :oops:

7. Comlec

Comlec Well-Known Member

I let EON install a 'Smart' meter. They made a really good job; they got Power Network to fix the slightly damaged incomer; renewed the ECO 7 timeclock with a contactor and installed a new DP Supply isolator. Took they ages but a pukka job. Two months later I switched supplier who cannot use the smart meter :).

8. Dr Bodgit

Exactly, what a farce. It may be a simple job of swapping the SIM card or whatever is used to communicate but it seems ridiculous to me that the smart meters are provider specific.

9. Comlec

Comlec Well-Known Member

Even worse - the new company cannot even provide instructions as to how to read the meter manually. I am sure that a meter reading robot will arrive in a driverless van when I am out and have to leave a postcard saying they called. But heyho musn't stand in the way of progress:)

Dr Bodgit likes this.
  10. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Well-Known Member

Don't put Alexa within audible distance of the telephone answering machine.

11. Dr Bodgit

The Internet of things = The internet of dumb devices created by morons to serve idiots.

12. Gluggy

Gluggy Member

That made me chuckle, would it be rather cynical of me to suggest the timing between smart meter and changing supplier was rather more than happy coincidence...