2 inlets for CW tank

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by grahbigg, Jun 20, 2007.

1. grahbigg

grahbigg New Member

I plan to install a shower pump & currently have a 25 gallon cold water tank. I understand the tank may not be big enough to feed the shower & hot water cylinder for a longer than average shower.
    Instead of installing a bigger cold water tank is it an option to fit a second feed into the tank split from the exising pipework to a ballcock? Valves don't really allow a decent flow rate & doubling up would surely help to refill the tank.

Can't beleive someone has'nt thought of this before, so perhaps there's a good reason this won't work.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Just fit a second tank - or just as easy a bigger tank - don't bodge it.

3. grahbigg

grahbigg New Member

I don't see this as a bodge, but a solution to a problem that is easier/less expensive & fit for purpose.

4. two ballvalves on one tank is gonna be very noisy when filling man..if you don't wanna fit a bigger tank connect another 25gal tank (as someone's already suggested) using two brass tank connectors and 28mm copper tube

5. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Two ball valves will not double the flow, they are being fed from the same main. It is a bodge.

6. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

Don't be a plonker, two valves will not double the flow but they will aerate the water causing bubbles to be drawn into the pump and wreck your pump. Do what Captain says- two tanks or a bigger tank. Don't be a bodging plonker!

7. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

...and make sure the cold outlet is lower than the hot outlet or you run the risk of scalding when the tank runs out.

8. grahbigg

grahbigg New Member

Ok, so you've convinced me, the bigger tank is the way to go. Is the s/fix tank & kit at £76.99 a good deal? or does anyone know of a better one?

Cheers......

9. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Check with your local merchants, they should have a good selection - don't forget to check the loft opening size and the proximity of the eaves which may make getting a new tank into the loft tricky.

The SF tank is a good price and if it will fit is fine to use.

10. bathroom boy

bathroom boy New Member

Picture this nice hot summer day,everyone having a shower and watering the garden, water pressure drops down to it's boots , your tank will empty in minutes.
    I had this malarkey a few weeks ago when fitting a shower pump 3 Bar, before I did the job customer assured me the tank was 50 gall (new house) when I got up in the loft it was 25, advised them the situation, oh so and so he's a corgi fitter says it will replenish itself.
    Be it on your own head, this is in the Wras regs.

11. I have just finished exactley the job you describe in my own bathroom.

I have a low pitched roof and in my loft is a 25g tank. Fitting a 50g tank in its place was not an option.

I asked these kind folks here and was advised to double up the tank with another 25g and link the 2 together with 28mm copper pipe.

it was also advised to install the mains in the new tank only as this can prevent stagnent water as it flows in the new tank and out through the existing.

I bought this one from here : http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=10500&ts=76673

and it works perfect. The only thing you need to purchase are 28mm tube and 28mm tank connectors

Another problem you may encounter is that your DHW storage tank may not be large enough.

12. grahbigg

grahbigg New Member

IT'S IN.................
    just finished plumbing the sf 50 gall cwt in the loft.
    Had to fit 6"x2" timber & extend the platform 1st.
    The sf tank & kit included everything & full instructions with positions of holes & size to cut.
    Tank looks huge & took a while to fill at first with no leeks!!!
    Shower pump arrived today so that's the next job.

Time for a cold beer now.

Thanks for advice given.

Regards,
    the bodging plonker

13. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Nah, your'e not a plonker anymore....maybe a bodger but definately no plonker. Well done mate ;)