2 out of 3 radiators are making vibrational sounds occasionally

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Levent Simeonov, Oct 2, 2020.

1. Levent Simeonov

Levent Simeonov New Member

I have moved to a new house and sometimes we hear this sound that can be found in the link.

It is likely happening when the boiler is running.
    It happens in random times.

One Plummer has looked at the video and started commenting about trapped air but then when he saw the reaction of the radiator when I slightly turned the valve either way, he told me that it is likely the in-feed and the return pipe connection are made incorrectly and the flow is in the wrong direction where the water pressure is getting the valve needle to bounce inside the valve head and making the noise.

I would like to double check with you here and confirm if it is the case.
    If not, what is your take on the cause of this?

2. dcox

dcox Screwfix Select

Most TRVs can be placed on either the flow or return these days - look for an arrow on the chrome casting of the valve body that indicates direction of flow. It probably is the valve vibrating inside so I’d recommend replacing it.

teabreak likes this.
  3. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

Sounds like trv on wrong way round most nowadays are bi flow so maybe older ones. When it does it , adjust trv to see if it stops

teabreak likes this.
  4. andy48

andy48 Screwfix Select

Some of the cheaper TRVs don't like being on the return rather than the flow, even if they are marked as bi-directional. They give exactly the symptoms you describe. Vibration / screeching, which ceases as soon as the slightest adjustment is made.

5. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Depending upon which boiler/system you have sounds like the bypass needs tweaking

6. Levent Simeonov

Levent Simeonov New Member

The connection is H-block in the mid bottom.
    By the way there is no bypass. I believe it is 2 pipe system.

It also looks like the radiator is integrated with the valve so there is probably only a TRV inlet replacement possible.

What it looks like Flipping the radiator for the other face should work.
    That should swap the pipe connections.
    Can someone comment on my idea?

7. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

The trv must be on the flow it seems.
    Think the radiator comes with left or right connection and can’t be altered.
    It could be that the trv needs set up.
    Not really seen this set up before.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2020
  8. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select