2 Port Valve with UFH Thermostatic Actuators

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Hooligan, Dec 3, 2020.

1. Hooligan

Hooligan New Member

Hi All,

looking for a bit of advice. Have scoured the internet and not really found a definitive answer. My scenario is this :-

New ground floor extension to have Wet UFH (3 Zones) fed from Worcester Greenstar CDI. Rest of house heated by Rads

As I understand it, I need to isolate the UFH from the Radiator circuit so the UFH runs independently. I propose to do this by adding a 2 Port Valve on the heating flow pipe from the boiler (before 1st rad) and tee of before this valve for the UFH connection. Will I need a 2 port valve on this line if the UFH contains Thermostatic Actuators on the manifold which as I understand work the same way as a 2 port valve.

Any advice greatly received

Cheers

2. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

I'd say you'll need 2 x 2 port valves, as you making a 2 zone system (UFH and rest of house)

3. Hooligan

Hooligan New Member

Thanks Hans,

I thought this but then found a thread stating the actuators are essentially 2 port valves. When the UFH Thermostat or timer calls for heat, the actuators open sending a signal to the boiler for heat. ???

4. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

Well it might work then. UFH is on pretty much all the time and a 2 port valve is the standard way of doing it, that's not to say other solutions won't work you just need to do your homework.

5. Hooligan

Hooligan New Member

Okay, thanks Hans. I think I will give it a go without the 2 port valve on this line and if it doesn't work I will have to retro fit the 2 port valve. In my mind (I'm an engineer not a plumber) I can't see why it wouldn't work

6. Masha gem

Masha gem New Member

hi Hooligan. I was just wondering if this solution worked for you? I have the same dilemma about adding a 2 port valve to the UFH that already has actuators. Cheers