2 wire, IP65 Sensor light switch

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Alan Jewitt, Sep 17, 2018.

1. Alan Jewitt

Alan Jewitt New Member

Hello. I have searched in vain for a sensor to replace a bathroom light switch. It must be 2 wire (no neutral) and IP65. Does this exist, and can anyone point me in the right direction please? I've tried a sensor light but it's not popular.
    Thanks!

2. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

The only way that could work is if the sensor switch contained a battery.

In a 2-wire light switch, you have a permanent line and a switched line - period. There might be 240V of voltage difference between the two wires when the light switch is open, but there might not be ... depending on what light type is used (incandescent, fluorescent, LED) between the switched line and the neutral. However, when the switch is closed, there is no voltage difference possible between the wires, so how would the sensor work? It would only work if it had its own battery.

Not to worry ... you're by no means the first person to have this quandary, and you sure won't be the last. We're all suffering from the prevalence of 2 wire light switches throughout our houses.

I far prefer the wiring systems in France and much of the rest of Europe, where they never build wires into a new-build ... they build empty conduits ... which allows you to pull through whatever wires you want at any stage.

3. Alan Jewitt

Alan Jewitt New Member

Thanks Roger. I have seen 2 wire sensor switches with an internal battery but not with IP65 rating.

4. Alan Jewitt

Alan Jewitt New Member

Unphased. Your sarcasm is uncalled for, although I admin I could have given more context. It's a flat in a tower block with a solid concrete ceiling. If I had a loft I would use it.

5. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

You've come to the wrong forum, if you want a sarcasm-free existence!

But I will ask a serious question. Why IP65? What bathroom zone is the sensor switch going to be situated?

6. Alan Jewitt

Alan Jewitt New Member

Thanks to everyone who replied on this thread. I have gone with a different, if expensive approach, involving Philips Hue bulbs and switch.