2013 mk 7 transit key ?

Discussion in 'Car and Van Talk' started by dvddvd, Jul 20, 2018.

1. dvddvd

dvddvd Active Member

Hi all, I was only supplied with 1 key for my Ford Transit ( the blue type with central locking)

What's the cheapest way to get a replacement. I just want a spare in case I lose it, don't need the remote central locking etc. Just a key that I can put into lock and start the engine? As an emergency?

Can I just take the old one in and have it cut? Does it need programming? Etc thanks

2. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

3. Wayners

Wayners Active Member

Not going to answer exactly because I have got mk6 transit connect on a 06 plate. Maybe Mk7 is different system? We have a local general lock smiths that cut a key and cloned the chip. I can't remember how much it cost but wasn't to pricy. I'll guess at £20+ ish. Timpsons sometimes have a half price offer on van and car keys and also can clone the chip.Just phone your local lock smiths and see what that say

4. goldenboy

goldenboy Well-Known Member

Have to say. First thing any van I get has is a secondary locking system.

Manufacturers standard locks are simply not fit for purpose.

Currently have L4V deadlock on side door and rear doors on my Relay.

Three times I have had someone have a real go. Three times they havent got in.

They even tried to jack the side door open and the lock didnt give.

KIAB likes this.
  5. Wayners

Wayners Active Member

For the first 4 years I never bother with the l4v locks fitted to my van. Only had 1 key and when I enquired the lock Smith wanted paperwork and proof of ownership so I never bothered. Seen video of transit break in which was so simple I flapped. I looked at getting a key cut and to start locking doors with l4v locks. £10 off ebay for spare key and I use now. Brilliant

KIAB likes this.
  6. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

If fitted then use them, simple, even in daytime, tools aren't safe in a van.

If I had a good van, then I would fit a vehicle tracker Cat 6 or more likely the better spec Cat 5, yes, it's expense, but save you a lot of hassle, if your van was nicked,some offer a duration of vehicle ownership subscription.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
    Wayners likes this.
  7. sospan

sospan Well-Known Member

You can even buy a Tibbe key on Amazon that will open most Fords.

As other have said, dispense with the Ford keys and get some after market ones

KIAB likes this.