2013 mk 7 transit key ?

Discussion in 'Car and Van Talk' started by dvddvd, Jul 20, 2018.

1. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

Hi all, I was only supplied with 1 key for my Ford Transit ( the blue type with central locking)

What's the cheapest way to get a replacement. I just want a spare in case I lose it, don't need the remote central locking etc. Just a key that I can put into lock and start the engine? As an emergency?

Can I just take the old one in and have it cut? Does it need programming? Etc thanks

2. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

3. Wayners

Wayners Well-Known Member

Not going to answer exactly because I have got mk6 transit connect on a 06 plate. Maybe Mk7 is different system? We have a local general lock smiths that cut a key and cloned the chip. I can't remember how much it cost but wasn't to pricy. I'll guess at £20+ ish. Timpsons sometimes have a half price offer on van and car keys and also can clone the chip.Just phone your local lock smiths and see what that say

4. goldenboy

goldenboy Well-Known Member

Have to say. First thing any van I get has is a secondary locking system.

Manufacturers standard locks are simply not fit for purpose.

Currently have L4V deadlock on side door and rear doors on my Relay.

Three times I have had someone have a real go. Three times they havent got in.

They even tried to jack the side door open and the lock didnt give.

KIAB likes this.
  5. Wayners

Wayners Well-Known Member

For the first 4 years I never bother with the l4v locks fitted to my van. Only had 1 key and when I enquired the lock Smith wanted paperwork and proof of ownership so I never bothered. Seen video of transit break in which was so simple I flapped. I looked at getting a key cut and to start locking doors with l4v locks. £10 off ebay for spare key and I use now. Brilliant

KIAB likes this.
  6. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

If fitted then use them, simple, even in daytime, tools aren't safe in a van.

If I had a good van, then I would fit a vehicle tracker Cat 6 or more likely the better spec Cat 5, yes, it's expense, but save you a lot of hassle, if your van was nicked,some offer a duration of vehicle ownership subscription.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
    Wayners likes this.
  7. sospan

sospan Well-Known Member

You can even buy a Tibbe key on Amazon that will open most Fords.

As other have said, dispense with the Ford keys and get some after market ones

KIAB likes this.