22mm to 1/2" coupler???

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by OllyUK, Nov 4, 2008.

1. OllyUK

OllyUK Member

Hi,
    Having run 22mm pipe as stated from the shower/bath diverter to the bath and shower. The 22mm for the shower goes up to the loft and drops down from the ceiling. Now the shower head and arm has turned out it appears that the connection from the shower arm is 1/2" male. So I am after either a solder fitting or compression fitting that goes from 22mm to 1/2" female, I dont seem to be able to find one easily.

Also there are no fixing holes for the shower arm so is this simply supported by the pipework? The showerhead is a 6"square.

Many thanks
    Olly

2. Bonedry

Bonedry New Member

Olly,

If I have understood you correctly I would simply reduce the 22mm to 15mm then connect the 15mm to a Backplate elbow which would have the 1/2" female you are after,

I trust you have access to do this and also to insert a dwang to screw the backplate to. This will support the shower head as well.

If you are tiling after make sure you get your depth right for the backplate so the arm screws in and then leaves enough space for the depth of tiles.
    Good Luck.

3. OllyUK

OllyUK Member

NOt quite able to use the elbow as the shower arm (Which will drop from the ceiling) only has a limited space behind to place an elbow behind would mean it doesnt sit flush.

4. Bonedry

Bonedry New Member

Can you not then use a straight female connector instead of the backplate? You will then need to support the pipe some way either with banding or clips.
    I doubt you will get a fitting that goes straight from 22mm to 1/2" female. Suggest Yorki 22-15 reducer then straight female.

5. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

the arm does need supporting properly...(is it coming out the wall or the ceiling/) You can solder 22x15 reducer to the end of the pipe and then fit a 1/2"FI x 15mm adapter or wallplate elbow on the end.

6. OllyUK

OllyUK Member

Its coming out of the ceiling. At moment have 22mm in loft space and coming through ceiling. Will have to change to 15mm in loft and then use a 15mm to 1/2" coupler. Will the shower head be ok if I support the pipe using pipe clips (As I have done)

7. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Probably if it's just supporting it's own weight and so long as it's not an adjustable head people will be pulling on...just use common sense really.

8. OllyUK

OllyUK Member

Its does move what is the correct way to support something like this they are quite common having a shower drop from the ceiling with a small shower arm. Do the shower arms usually come with fixing screws to attach to the ceiling?

9. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

I often use 1/2" threaded brass barrel clamped with 1/2" backnuts thru some substantial ply. It's not unusual for there to be no mountings provided!

10. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

11. rome60

rome60 New Member

I installed a square fixed head shower recently which came through the ceiling,with a solid chrome brass extension which the shower head screwed to.Is the thread on the extension or shower head stripped.

12. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

But you probably wont find one in stock anywhere so thats why I make one up from barrel and backnuts.

13. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

14. OllyUK

OllyUK Member

Not sure I know what you mean by stripped thread. Its not rough like some radiator valves if thats what you mean. What CL is what im after bit pricey for bit of metal, may make one up as well.

15. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

exactly, 1/2" barrell + 2 backnuts mounted above the ceiling on some ply.

16. OllyUK

OllyUK Member

Numpty Alert CL!!! Whats a barrel lol

17. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

18. OllyUK

OllyUK Member

Thanks for that

19. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

I get them from Graham too.

20. OllyUK