240v ext ground lights

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Kevint22july, Nov 27, 2020.

?

Hi all has anybody ever had condensation form on 5w 240v ground lights. Its tripping my 10a breaker

1. Electrical

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Landscapers

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Kevint22july

Kevint22july New Member

Has anybody ever had a problem with condensation tripping a type B 4a breaker on 240v ground lights. I have 20 light on 3 separate circuits and can see condensation inside several of the lights. This has been the first night below 4 deg

2. BiancoTheGiraffe

BiancoTheGiraffe Screwfix Select

4 amp breaker?

3. Kevint22july

Kevint22july New Member

Yes 4 amp. Total load adds up to 3amp so In the control panel running the garden i installed a 4 amp 1 amp lower than the DB breaker.
    As I said its all been running fine for weeks until the cold spell. I can see the condensation on the glass so its probably dripped down.

Attached Files:

4. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select

Do you have access to any electrical test equipment to carry out an IR test?

Can you upload some photos of the lights with condensation and how they've been wired.

5. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

That’s a 10Amp MCB.

nigel willson likes this.
  6. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

Believe it’s for illustration purposes

7. Kevint22july

Kevint22july New Member

Yes there are many choices from 1a up to 32
    See picture of the light with condensation.
    I have 3 circuits all wired with SWA 1.5MM up to IP65 JB. The light is then wired in and secured with a PG compression gland. I the sealed the box with Silicone.
    I also water tested every light by submerging them in cold water for 24hrs and had no water ingress.
    See picture

Attached Files:

8. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select

Can you take some photos in the daylight. It's difficult to see in the dark with them illuminated.

9. Kevint22july

Kevint22july New Member

OK will take them tomorrow.
    Thanks

10. The Happy Builder

The Happy Builder Screwfix Select

Is there a 30 mA RCD protecting the circuit if so, is it tripping? If there isn’t a 30 mA RCD protecting the circuit, why not?

11. The Happy Builder

Submerging the lights in water isn’t actually a conclusive test for leaks.

As the lights heat up the air inside the fittings it will increase in pressure pushing it out through the leaky seals, then as the air cools it will create a slight vacuum inside the fittings and moisture will be drawn in through leaky seals.

If you hold a glass upside down in water it won’t fill up with water.

12. Kevint22july

Kevint22july New Member

That
    That makes a lot of sense. How on earth can these lights be sealed 100% ? I did leave the power on to the light when they were submerged. But I guess the water would keep them cool ?

13. The Happy Builder

If you had left the lights in the water for several hours after turning them off there may have been a different outcome.

Kevint22july likes this.