2600mm long radiator recommendation

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Jimbo, Oct 26, 2020.

1. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

Struggling to find radiators this size. Would like oval tube type ideally but anything that heats properly would be a start. Any suggestions please.

To replace two 'ecorad' 600x2600mm (HxL), neither heat well - cool in the middle (hot top and bottom) even when only radiator on and pump on max. System also has Kudox radiators which heat OK and some oval tube verticals which also heat well.

Many thanks!

2. andy48

andy48 Screwfix Select

1. What makes you think its the radiators?
    2. Could be valves, pipework, sludge.
    3. Are they on an extended part of the system, if so they may have an inadequate feed.
    4. If you don't find and rectify the cause of the existing radiators not working well, you may well be disappointed with any replacements.

3. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

@andy48 thanks. Could well be sludge. Surprising it could be an issue with most the system new in the last 2 years, new valves on these, one of the problem rads itself less than two years old and a magnaclean having been in-system all that time.

System is holding good pressure and I have put some X400 in it yesterday... will see if this improves things in a week or so.

4. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

Seems these cheap pressed steel radiators are just not very good at low surface temperatures.

Mostly for the benefit of the search - Faral make sectional radiators that can be extended to any length and are designed for low temperature (heat pump) operation: http://www.faral.com/en/products/products-overview/

5. Crowsfoot

Crowsfoot Screwfix Select

If the boiler is producing the heat when the rad in question is the only one turned on then that heat must go somewhere, it cannot disappear.

Try turning the boiler stat up to full and give it a go, or even overiding the stats on the boiler to see if it locksdown while the radiator is still cool in parts.

It could well need taking off the wall for a really good flush out, however Just putting a different angle on it.

How old is the system?

6. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

Thanks. It’s mostly new - this radiator is the oldest perhaps 7 years. System is under weather compensation control so producing 40*C flow temps at the moment. This type of radiator is very noticeably deficient as in the middle they are like 30*C and doing really not a lot.

I think there’s a reason that they sludge up in the middle first - is the area of lowest flow.

7. Crowsfoot

Is it an Air Source heating system (just going by the weather compensation control)?
    I'd turn the WC control off now, it's getting too cold now for the unit to be running on lesser power.
    Check that the lockshield valve is open enough (may need adjusting).
    It's an certainly an odd occurance, normally sludge only clogs up the bottom half of the radiator.

Jimbo likes this.
  8. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

Yes it is, ASHP. I have adjusted it so it's minimum flow temp is 40*C, the output from the radiators doesn't vary in a linear fashion and it tended to select a flow temp too low.

X400 does seemed to have helped somewhat - as did turning down the system pump. There's still more variation across these panels than I'd like but I'm reluctant to fork out £500 for an aluminium radiator before finding out if I really need it... February will answer that I suppose.

9. Crowsfoot

They're quite long radiators and air source is a poor quality of heat so it might be that they just need more time to fully heat up.