288 volts through line and earth

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by TingleFingers, Nov 10, 2019.

1. TingleFingers

TingleFingers New Member

TT system: at the CU, volts between line and neutral 238, line and earth 288 volts. Any idea as to why such high voltage on line to earth??

2. Philip Hyde

Philip Hyde Active Member

The could be another earth fault on the same supply transformer pushing up the neutral / earth voltage. (opposite side of 2 phase supply) I assume you are in the country with a local pole mounted transformer

3. TingleFingers

TingleFingers New Member

Thanks for the feedback, I’m actually on holiday in Spain and this is the neighbors place. I’ll try and upload a picture of the CU - it’s a sight to behold! I’m also getting 60 volts between neutral and earth. This was just a quick look on Friday afternoon, I’ll go back round tomorrow.

Attached Files:

4. Mike58

Mike58 Active Member

What is wrong right with that installation?

A nice piece of multi-cultural work – although discriminatory as there is no MK included!

TingleFingers and KIAB like this.
  5. Tony Goddard

Tony Goddard Active Member

hmm, Spain, where they have a come as you are approach to building, gas and electrics - saying that they all seem very relaxed! 260V is as I recall the max permitted here by the ESQCR regs, could be it's higher in spain and you are just near the substation.

6. TingleFingers

TingleFingers New Member

Yeah, all very relaxed here. It’s very common to see no earthing arrangement at all in these rural parts. The house is on the outskirts of the village and I’ve done a few jobs near the transformer in the center of the village. Never seen above 245v. They do have an earth rod for the pool pump room, the earth from there comes back to the “consumer unit” and isn’t connected - it’s just hanging loose and looking a bit burnt like the mcb’s!!

7. Tony Goddard

What is their colour code then, are the blacks the live?

8. TingleFingers

TingleFingers New Member

Colour code has “on paper” aligned with the U.K. but it’s not uncommon to see line going into a connection block with cpc coming out the other side, purely because they ran out of brown!! Switched neutrals on light switches, lighting circuits and radial socket circuits all on the same feed. But apart from that, all good!! Oh and they also use a two wire solution for two way switching. Saves on cable!!

9. Tony Goddard

Be interesting to know if they had any more fatalities/fire due to their lax approach or if it is similar to us regardless (my guess is probably the latter!)

Interesting little one ended choc blocks too

10. peter palmer

peter palmer Well-Known Member

As ever in the EU the Brits are the only ones that ever bother to follow the rules - and the only ones that pay for the privilege.

Heat and TingleFingers like this.
  11. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Well-Known Member

You have just put your finger on the issue. The difference of 60V is the voltage drop in the overloaded or undersized neutral conductor in the distribution system. It may be that their is a high resistance connection on the supply network neutral, or overload due to poor pf and a third harmonic current. Whichever is the fault, it is the responsibility of the supply provider to sort out. But in Spain, that will be 'tomorrow'.

TingleFingers likes this.
  12. rogerk101

rogerk101 Well-Known Member

When my sparky friend was signing off my kitchen rewire, he measured a 3V difference between neutral and earth, so couldn't sign it off.
    I called SSE and they had four engineers on site within an hour to deal with this 'dangerous emergency'. They spent the afternoon working on it and ended up doing something at the substation and tying my earth and my neutral together in my house.

TingleFingers likes this.