28mm Gas Meter Connections

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by aphs, Sep 24, 2006.

1. aphs

aphs New Member

What do you use, and where do you get them?

I usually use the 28mm Capillary adaptor, but this means altering the meter bracket. I put a couple of 28mm brass clips on the 600mm or so of pipe inside the meter box to support the meter on the outlet side. Transco turned up to a job I did a few months back to fit a pre payment meter and the guy wouldn't fit it as the meter bracket had been altered. Fair enough, I ordered a new bracket and 1" BS 746 female by BS746 male that fits the meter bracket (from bes ltd) but the internal bore of this fitting is only just more than a 15mm pipe defeating the purpose of the 28mm gas supply. I could use a 1" 746 x 1" BSP like is used on the inlet side but I can’t find a bracket that takes these fittings on the outlet side and I'm not to keen on using a Parallel female on a tapered male. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Use a standard 22mm meter connector, then solder a 22mm to 28mm endfeed adaptor, then proceed to run in 28mm.

Its not just the size of the pipe, but also the length of it.

Same as boilers sometimes has 22mm connections, but need to be adapted straight to 28mm.

3. aphs

aphs New Member

Surely the smaller bore of the 22mm connector defeats the purpose of running a 28mm supply? Would it not have the same effect as a partial blockage?

4. doitall

doitall New Member

No it wouldn't, if you sized it properly you would find you could probably (without the knowing the length etc ) that 22mm will be ok for the first meter and more.

9meters of 22mm will deliver the same volume as 30meters of 28mm