2nd floor heated towel rail problem

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by canny lad, Nov 25, 2008.

1. canny lad

canny lad New Member

My house is 5 years old and over the last 4 years I have been building an extension over the garage. I have built a bedroom over the garage and above the bedroom I have a en-suite bathroom. I have fitted a large heated towel rail it gives off something like 7000btu. I have connected this in to the radiator system just after the junction where the water gets diverted to either HOT water or heating. I put 22mm t piece in and reduced that down to 15mm then to 10mm to ease the running of the pipe.

I can not get the heated towel rail to warm up, it has water in it and I have bled the system twice. The original rads are all still ok.

I also Raised the small water tank in the loft to the highest point in the loft which is higher than the towel rail but not by much.

Can anyone give me some guidance please. HELP

2. tomo80

tomo80 New Member

you crazy

3. canny lad

canny lad New Member

Why am I crazy??

Is it because I have reduced from 22mm down to 10mm??

Any helpfull advice is very welcome

4. " I have connected this in to the radiator system just after the junction where the water gets diverted to either HOT water or heating."

?

5. The South

The South Member

ok, so you've checked the obvious things I guess:

you did connect to a flow and a return pipe, right ;)

the valves on the towel rail are turned on, right?

are the pipes you tee'ed in to getting hot when the CH is on?

when you open the bleed valve on the towel rail, does water come out?

6. hallbeck

hallbeck New Member

Turn all the other rads off and leave the towel rail on, then run the heating - this will blow any air lock out

7. canny lad

canny lad New Member

Re: 2nd floor heated towel rail problem
    Posted: Nov 25, 2008 1:31 PM

ok, so you've checked the obvious things I guess:

you did connect to a flow and a return pipe, right

the valves on the towel rail are turned on, right?

are the pipes you tee'ed in to getting hot when the CH is on?

when you open the bleed valve on the towel rail, does water come out?

Yes to all of those questions. It seems as if there is not enough pressure to get the water to rise up to the next floor!!! I thought about fitting a more powerfull pump or is that the wrong thing to do??

8. canny lad

canny lad New Member

hallbeck

Posted: Nov 25, 2008 1:32 PM

Turn all the other rads off and leave the towel rail on, then run the heating - this will blow any air lock out

Will try this now. Fingers crossed

9. mully123

mully123 New Member

You may have a problem with you existing pump,ie youve intoduced a higher head pressure than before,check your pump head pressures thru MIs.

10. bathstyle

bathstyle Active Member

Check just how much water you are getting out of each radvalve, could be a blockage or kinked pipe

11. doing a bit

doing a bit New Member

where did you connect the return to ?? if you connected the flow into the flow from the boiler before or after the 3 port valve??

12. canny lad

canny lad New Member

hallbeck

Posted: Nov 25, 2008 1:32 PM

Will try this now. Fingers crossed

Did this and the towel rail did get worm but not hot or even nearly hot. As soon as I turned all the rads back on the towel rail went cold again. Damm

13. Take it you've not installed the towel rail upside down?

14. canny lad

canny lad New Member

Posted: Nov 25, 2008 6:36 PM

where did you connect the return to ?? if you connected the flow into the flow from the boiler before or after the 3 port valve??

I connected the return back in to the system which does not have a 3 port valve. The 3 port valve is on the feed so I connected the feed 6 inches after the 3 port valve but before the manifold. I could not connect in to the manifold as its already full.

15. canny lad

canny lad New Member

radvalve, could be a blockage or kinked pipe

None of the pipes are kinked as I have just checked. Water does flow from the bleed valve but not under much presure.
    I think I am going to have to change the 10mm pipes to 15mm, which should give me more volume of water?? What do you think??

16. canny lad

canny lad New Member

down?

Funny you asked that. I dont think there is an upside down on this towel rail as the connection points all 4 of them are the same ...........!!

17. I believe some of the larger towel rads can be installed upside down.