3 amp

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by poshman, Aug 5, 2005.

1. poshman

poshman New Member

im fitting a new gas fire.. the electrical instructions state NOT to use 13amp type plug but must be connected via a 3 amp fixed fused spur, ive looked on sites for one but i cant find ! is there such an animal ? thanks.. P M

2. pete267

pete267 New Member

3. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Yes of course there is. The cable or flex attached to the gas fire is purely to supply the ignition. The flex provided is not rated to 13A because the ignition requires very little current and so the flex requires protection by a 3A fuse. Purchase either a 13A standard plug and fit with a 3A fuse and plug in to nearest socket or install a standard fused spur fitted with a 3A fuse and hard wire the flex to it.

UP

4. poshman

poshman New Member

thanks for the info ...

5. SparkySteve

SparkySteve New Member

You can't find find one because they don't sell'em!
    You have to buy a 13A fused spur and change the fuse with a 3A one. I've got a box full of 13A BS1361 fuses because of this!

6. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds New Member

Things would be a lot safer if all plugs and FCUs only came with 3A fuses installed, leaving the user to put a bigger one in if needed...

7. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Things would be a lot safer if all plugs and FCUs
    only came with 3A fuses installed, leaving the user
    to put a bigger one in if needed...

Thats fine if instructions came with how to remove and replace it. People really are that stupid!

8. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds New Member

Indeed.

But they'd have to bl*y well find out when their fan heater stopped working, wouldn't they...

9. ebee

ebee Member

Things would be a lot safer if all plugs and FCUs
    only came with 3A fuses installed, leaving the user
    to put a bigger one in if needed...

Ban I agre with you entirely, in fact I`ve often said that all plugtops should be sold without fuses on the basis that (in theory) you gotta ask fo one and hopefully be offered advice as to the best one for the job 3 or 13 . Ok I know we live in the real world but......

10. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Indeed.

But they'd have to bl*y well find out when their
    fan heater stopped working, wouldn't they...

Er no...they call an Electrician. If they can't change a blown fuse they can't replace one with the correct size either. And thats a fact.

UP

11. I still get called out to change lamps, but they wait till 3 or 4 have blown, the lazy sods.

12. The Trician

The Trician New Member

"Ban, I agree with you entirely, in fact I`ve often said that all plugtops should be sold without fuses on the basis that (in theory) you gotta ask fo one and hopefully be offered advice as to the best one for the job 3A or 13A. Ok I know we live in the real world but......"

Agree 100%.

TT

13. Stoday

Stoday New Member

I still get called out to change lamps, but they wait
    till 3 or 4 have blown, the lazy sods.

If they are paying to get the lamps changes, you should change the whole lot including those still working. Easy to show that's cheaper than replacing 3/4 blown ones at a time and more ££ 4U

14. poshman

poshman New Member

ive found a 13 amp D P switch unit in my pile of **** ! can i just take fuse out and put 3 amp in ? if not whats the difference between fcu and double pole ? cheers P M

15. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

...can i just take fuse out and put 3 amp in ? if not
    whats the difference between fcu and double pole ?
    cheers P M

Yes you can. Fused spur is fused in the phase only and if switched switches phase only. DP switched spur is also fused in phase only but switches both phase and neutral.

UP

16. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

DP switched fused spur
    is also fused in phase only but switches both phase
    and neutral.

UP

better clarify that...

17. jaymack

jaymack New Member

ebee said: -
    Ban I agre with you entirely, in fact I`ve often said
    that all plugtops......

Doh, wot's a plugtop? This makes me cringe, been going on for donkeys, this is the cover of the plug. A plug is a plug is a plug.

18. Rabbit Rabbit

Rabbit Rabbit New Member

Agre with yoiur commenst entirely BAS start low and move up not the other way round, by default.

Better still - these days of technology helping to make things small plugs with miniature MCB built in and fixed for life. So you buy a '3A plug' or a '5A plug' or a '13A plug' and that's it not interchangeable and no fuses to pop just a small switch to reset.

19. lamb

lamb New Member

Better still - these days of technology helping to
    make things small plugs with miniature MCB built in
    and fixed for life. So you buy a '3A plug' or a '5A
    plug' or a '13A plug' and that's it not
    interchangeable and no fuses to pop just a small
    switch to reset.

People would gaffa tape the switch to the 'on' position.

20. Rabbit Rabbit

Rabbit Rabbit New Member

As with any MCB it would trip regardless - have ya never tried resetting an MCB to the 'on' position and the fault prevails? What happens? It trips regardless due to the internal mechanical construction