3 Bed Semi Renovation

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by K Haroon, May 19, 2019.

1. K Haroon

K Haroon New Member

Howdy All,

We're buying a house which needs renovation. Just wanted to get idea of what do you all think it would cost. I've made a floor plan in Visio which should give a fair idea of what work is required. I'm only interested in costing of all work excluding kitchen. Main areas of work in my mind are below. Feel free to give suggestion and point out things that I should add.

First fix work including plastering:
    1. New boiler installation
    2. New cylinder installation
    3. Bathroom plumbing
    4. Radiator plumbing
    5. Water softener plumbing
    6. Knocking 4 walls down
    7. Adding 3 lintels
    8. Adding 1 RSJ of about 6.3m
    9. Sliding patio door installation (6.3 meters)
    10. Kitchen plumbing
    11. New Electric Point
    12. New Ceiling Electrics
    13. Removing stair case
    14. Installing new stair case
    15. Plumbing for existing upstairs bathroom
    16. Plumbing for new bathroom

Floor plan link is below

https://ibb.co/QPxSWvB

Many thanks in advance

2. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Sorry but pricing all this kind of stuff is what I do for a living.

Asking for people to price your entire project for nothing is taking the mickey.

Astramax and Jord86 like this.
  3. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

There's a mix of different trades there so difficult for any one person to price that lot up. Would suggest you start by bundling the to-dos according to the trade e.g. plumber, chippie, builder etc. and then invite appropriate trades to give you an estimate, they will want a bit more detail than what's above.

Some items like "new electric point" are trivial, bathroom and kitchen plumbing could be anything from a day to a week. At a guess I'd say the plumbing overall could be £10k plus/minus. May be £20k the lot? Just a guess.

4. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Looking at that list, it sounds as though it is a major renovation project.

Questions to think about:

Are you planning to do any of the work yourself?

When will the extensions be built?

What order will you do the work?

Have you considered haveing te basic plumbing checked out and reworked if required?

Update to heating - new radiators and pipework? Much cheaper to do it when the house is under renovation, than when finished.

Removal of wall and addition of extension will require significant changes to electrics - new circuits, moving existing, changes to lighting and switches, ... have a full rewire done as teh extra cost will be small in comparison to the total bill and may not be much more than the changes needed.

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Include a magnetic filter for your combi, Magnaclean Pro 2 among the best.

No mention of networking your house, would run Cat 5e or Cat6, even fibre as price has come down a lot.

6. gas monkey

gas monkey Well-Known Member

It's always the Hiden costs that you come across which blow the budget and the so called profetinal fees
    Do as much yourself
    Use the rubish in the garden for landscaping bomb fire night and free to collector ads
    Mats rates always one way family my lot gruw up on a building site so tidying up never an issue
    And price not day rate
    Good luck