3 Coats of Farrow & Ball Estate Emulsion vs 1 Coat of Undercoat + 2 coats of paint

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by squarecrumpets, Oct 28, 2018.

1. squarecrumpets

squarecrumpets New Member

Hello,

I've noticed that F&B sells matching undercoats for their paints. I am painting over a wall which has a very dark colour and don't want it so show through the new coats of paint.

Cost aside, is there an advantage / disadvantage to using 3 layers of F&B Estate Emulsion instead of using the matching undercoat for the first coat?

Thank you in advance.

2. sospan

sospan Well-Known Member

With paints like F&B the correct undercoat colour is quite important as this can change how close the finished colour will be to the one you intended.

Generally an undercoat will also even out and dark or light patches which may show through the finished colour

3. fostyrob

fostyrob Active Member

Aside from your main question, before taking the plunge with F&B have you considered colour matching?

We initially used F&B in a room and for the price was not overly enamored. The colours are nice and suit an older home but that is about it. It marks very easily (especially if you have young kids), you cannot wipe marks, you cannot touch up imperfections without them being massively noticeable.

For other rooms we found a farrow and ball colour we liked then had it colour matched off the sample booklet in B&Q. We went for the valspar premium in super matt and in all honesty it looks the same and is both easier to apply and touch up. I'm sure the dulux decorator centres would do the same but as I haven't used them cannot vouch for how similar they would be.

4. Astramax

Astramax Well-Known Member

I refuse to use Farrow & Ball due to the problems as posted by frostyrob..............only ever used it once and that was once too many, if I never used it again that would be to soon, colour was nice though, 'Smoke Stack Grey'.

5. squarecrumpets

Yes but it's too late now because the painter did not apply the undercoat despite having it on hand and agreeing to do so before starting work. Farrow & Ball suggested applying a 4th coat of paint to bring the colour up to what would be had an undercoat been used.

I guess it's not the end of the world as the walls are now freshly painted so no prep work required, just 1 last coat of F&B and a small 2.5L tin would suffice.

Are there any issues with putting on a 4th layer?

Thanks.

6. sospan

sospan Well-Known Member

As long as there has been plenty of time between coats, the only problem is the extra dent in the wallet.;)

7. squarecrumpets

1 week.

Yeh but 1 last coat won't cost too much. Since so much has already been spent, might as well get a small 2.5L tin and paint over. The un-used undercoats can be returned for a refund anyway.

So should I just use a short nap 1/4" roller to do it as the surface is already smooth?

Thanks again.