3 phase compressor

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by s heywort, Nov 18, 2021.

1. s heywort

s heywort New Member

Its a long time since i did any 3 phase work but a friend has asked if i could connect his 3 phase compressor to an existing 3 phase outlet it has been moved from his old workshop and has a flexi tube with 5 wires in it earth black neutral and 3 reds what i cant remember is if it matters the phase order didnt want to make it run backwards though it probably would not matter as its a drive belt type

2. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

I’m pretty sure that reversing any 2 phases will reverse a 3 phase motor.

3. Ind spark

Ind spark Screwfix Select

Yep as CGN says, put the 3 x reds in any order if it goes the wrong way swap 2 over.
    You could take the belt off before you try it if you think it might damage something.

CGN likes this.
  4. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

There should be something to indicate the correct direction of rotation. When you connect it, pulse the starter while watching the motor fan/pulley, that will let you see which way it is running. If it is the wrong way then as @CGN says, swap any 2 phases, ideally on the reds so that you maintain phase rotation in the supply side.

CGN likes this.