3 phase hob

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Johnupatree, Jun 17, 2021.

1. Johnupatree

Johnupatree New Member

Hi,
    I have a new NEF induction hob to replace my old electric hob and was expecting a simple like for like change of wires. However the model comes supplied with 3 phase cable and I am curious as to how it is connected to my existing switch? Are the grey and black (N2/N3) ignored completely/connected if so how?
    If it is considered not something a competent DIYer should do then I will of course ask an electrician.
    Many thanks.

2. Dan Greenslade

Dan Greenslade Active Member

These sorts of appliances normally come with an installation manual, you can most likely find your answer there. Or is that why you are here as there isnt one?

3. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Indeed. Most hobs come with options to connect to single and multi-phase supplies.
    A copy of the installation info, or even the Neff model number will help.

4. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

Three phase is not common for domestic, however split phase is very common, you need to find out if really 3 phase or split phase, and careful on voltage, across 3 phase supply phase to phase UK 400 volt, across split phase supply phase to phase is 460 volt. In both cases phase to neutral is 230 volt.

5. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

6. jonathanc

jonathanc Screwfix Select

This will be covered in the instructions. Don’t want to try to remember exactly what they say as I may get it wrong but it’s something like connects all lives together… anyway check the manual

7. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

Its normally 2 neutrals and two lives.

8. sparky steve

sparky steve Screwfix Select

Is this what you are thinking?

Attached Files:

9. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

@Johnupatree we are trying to help you......

10. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Yes, but often Neff don't provide it in a nice easy to understand way. You sometimes get a 5-core cable. Sometimes, you get some crafty little copper links that are hidden to strap out the necessary. Its all in the instructions.

11. sparky steve

Guess we will just have to wait for @Johnupatree to come out of his tree with the info you have requested Bazza.:)

12. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

exactly.

13. Dan Greenslade

14. Johnupatree

Johnupatree New Member

Hi guys,
    Apologies for the delay in replying, we’ve had a COVID issue to deal with ☹️
    I downloaded the installation manual and it answered the question, it was exactly as SparkySteve posted.
    All done and dusted now.
    Many thanks again for all your replies, advice and explanations, greatly appreciated.
    Once again, sorry for late response.

sparky steve likes this.
  15. sparky steve

Pleased you have the answer to your question. Hope you and family are all well after your covid issue.
    Regards,
    Steve.

Dan Greenslade likes this.
  16. Dan Greenslade

Good job glad its all sorted.. happy cooking :D. Hope you're all well now :cool:

sparky steve likes this.