3 Port mid position actuator valve

Discussion in 'Engineers' Talk' started by Niblocksk, Oct 2, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Niblocksk

Niblocksk New Member

Hi there. I am at a loss. I changed the motor on my motorised diverted valve but that made no difference. I decided it must be a micro switch fault so replaced entire head. It worked at first. If both HW and CH are called for then all ok. Heating then works as planned. If the heating is then turned off, eg when reaches required room temperature and the hot water on, hot water still works, but when hot water is switched off, the heating won't work again until I manually switch the lever back to mid position. It seems that if runs on just hot water it puts the valve into a state where it can't recover to put the heating on without a me manually moving the switch back. It wants to stay on HW side. Does this make sense to anyone please?

2. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

Change the whole valve, not just the head, it may be that the valve body is causing the issue.

3. Peterdevon

Peterdevon Screwfix Select

Shoulds like the valve is tight, can you turn the shaft easily with your fingers?

4. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

mid-position-valve.jpg It does sound like a faulty V3 micro switch, common fault when the switch fails, the old Y Plan is not seen much today, Y-Plan.jpg but seems likely the micro switch is not working, but I would normally change the whole valve if I can, as main reason to fail is leaking water, so better to change whole valve.

5. Niblocksk

Niblocksk New Member

Hi there. The valve spindle does turn easily when using fingers. I bought the head from screw fix yesterday so I’m assuming it’s not the micro switch?

6. Bob Rathbone

It's either installer error, a faulty new part or a fault elsewhere. This is why we train for years on our chosen trade, it's to allow us to locate and fix faults, among a load of other stuff.

7. Niblocksk

Niblocksk New Member

Thanks Bob. It was a faulty new part. If I could afford a heating engineer I would love to use one. I was trying to trouble shoot all the obvious things first to minimise the potential financial damage. It appears to be ok now, so hopefully solved.

8. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

I consider the reverse, if I could afford making error, and being without heating I would DIY, but errors cost money, even if only the fuel to get to a whole sale outlet, I did DIY as could not find anyone to repair/correct my central heating local, I used Nest Gen 3, which I then found would not work with Energenie TRV's, I am sure some one in the profession would have know Nest is rubbish and would have advised against it?

As an electrical engineer wiring and designing the wiring not a problem, but central heating is limited to my own families homes, at work we have real boilers, and the heating adds to the ambiance, IMGP0599.jpg as the steam engulfs the carriages, but most boilers don't boil, why they are called boilers I don't know?

9. Bob Rathbone

Great to hear you have found the fault and fixed it without having to replace more parts. One of the main differences between someone who has been properly educated in the field and one who has not, is that the former will find the fault without resorting to substitution. You clearly have some skills as you suspected the valve head and replaced it, a properly trained person would have recognised the faulty replacement earlier. Don't let me or others put you off.