3 port mid position valve

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Captain Chaos, May 27, 2010.

1. Captain Chaos

Captain Chaos Member

CAn anyone tell me if the Tower 3port mid pistion valve has the same wiring/ coloured wires as the Honeywell V403A1039 as I need to replace it.

2. tomplum

tomplum Active Member

i dunno, but, the wires are a similar shade.
    change each wire individually, as you take the brown one out, put the new brown one in, same with all the others,

3. Captain Chaos

Captain Chaos Member

Thats the plan.
    Thanks Tomplum

4. G Brown

G Brown New Member

Tower are rubbish, you will be lucky if it lasts one year!

5. Removed 4

Removed 4 New Member

Yes, the Tower valve has the same colour wires as the latest 4073A valve, but it's rather like trading in a Mercedes for a Skoda......

That's very good, homespun advice from our Tomplum as always, but it's a bit like 'painting by numbers' and certainly no substitute for trying to understand the nature and workings of a 3-port valve.

It isn't difficult to remember which wire is which:

Most people understand that the blue is the neutral, and that the orange is connected to fire the boiler. So, it's only a case of remembering that the white wire is connected to CH 'on' and the grey is HW 'off'.

However, for those who can't be bothered to understand the various systems: the best method is to snip-off the wires from the valve to the wiring centre leaving an inch or so of the wire in place for idendification. This will allow you to remove the old cable and fit the new cable in the same entry. Then replace the wires one-by-one......

Lucia x

6. midlands heating

midlands heating New Member

good job they only have 12 month warranty eh !
    about how long they last (especially on old system with "crud" in) LOL

MH

7. howlsatthemoon

howlsatthemoon New Member

what about grasslin then? they any good?

8. Dick Puller

Dick Puller New Member

9. Removed 4

Removed 4 New Member

Any valve actuator will last 10 times longer if it's
    sited in a cool, well ventilated area......

Pullerova dear, you don't half come out with some stupid comments. Presumably, a 3-port valve would last forever it only had to pass cold water?

Twit!

Lucia x

10. Dick Puller

Dick Puller New Member

Ah I see, they never instructed you in comprehension in that Convent Skool, the lezza nuns would be too busy beating the *out of you all.........:^O :^O :^O

The main component that goes on the blink on a Mid-Pos valve is the synchron motor and it is not in contact with the body of the valve, so back to pulling your wire Ladyboy!!

[Edited by: admin]

11. howlsatthemoon

howlsatthemoon New Member

aha dp, you answered my trick question! there are loads of grasslin valves out in the shire. god knows where they came from cos i've never seen them for sale but they're donkeys years old. so if tower and grasslin are the same, how can tower be so *that they only last 12months? course i fit honeywell or occasionally boss/siemens.

[Edited by: admin]

12. tomplum

tomplum Active Member

tower and grasslin are the same firm now cos grasslin bought tower out, or was it the vice virtue, anyrode Dick is correct as usual, btw, i bumped into your misses last week Dick, Olive, she a fine lady, :)

13. EXPERTGASMAN

EXPERTGASMAN New Member

With respect, Tom, I think you're missing the werewolfs point.

14. Dick Puller

Dick Puller New Member

The point is my pea brain chums; they all go on the blink, Honeywell, Tower, Danfoss....etc....etc. Cause the synchron motors are powered up against a resistance. That's why you'd be better fitting Sunvic Mo-Mo valves!!

15. sam spade

sam spade Active Member

A very clever valve, in theory, but they have a very poor record for reliability.

Sunvic Motorized Valve Failures

16. Removed 4

Removed 4 New Member

a very poor record for reliability......

A bit like Puller, then?

Lucia

17. Dick Puller

Dick Puller New Member

Of course they may have teething problems out in the field, but hey what manufacturer doesn't have them?

Also, that nut eating, pot smoking hippy that is repairing them would say they're having problems, it's more than likely his only form of income, well, that & his GIRO!!!