3 port valve again

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by ajohn, Dec 8, 2018.

1. ajohn

ajohn Screwfix Select

This one is the right type of valve - sometimes called a priority valve as output is either A or B but not both. 3 wire spring return. Looks like some higher wire count ones include an auxiliary switch that needn't be used - most of the data sheets aren't very clear on this though.

https://www.plumbnation.co.uk/site/honeywell-v4044c-1288-22mm-3-port-diverter-valve/

Ordered but then thought hang on the one that is on uses female compression fittings. Looked to be sure and it does. I suspect it's to make it easier to fit. 2 short rigid pipes go to it. One to the heatstore and the other to the burner etc. The other connection on the top to the heating can be removed but not easily. The female compression ones have a bigger hole so more wriggle room. :confused: Or why use them.

:( So any thoughts - same style of valve but female compression or ????? Guess I'll have to split olives with a dremel to use male compression and may still have problems.

John
    -

2. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

3. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

I would just remove the old couplings and olives. Fairly straightforward.

ajohn likes this.
  4. ajohn

ajohn Screwfix Select

Price on that one - ouch.

I'm virtually sure it's 22mm but have never been sure that the threads are the same as 3/4. Seems this style of valve is for W plan ;) cheap boilers that can't heat both at the same time. On this one the heatstore gets up to full temp in 3 mins so a bath can be run that often and water never goes cold anyway. Since fitting a 22mm pegler TMV it runs at 44C all of the time without much change in flow rates - stops the shorter run to the kitchen tap from scalding too. Had to do it. Couldn't even touch the tap before and cold ran rather warm for some time after.

Think your right so out comes the dremel. Seems to be the easiest way to split olives on the few times I have done it in the past - most of the way through and then a screwdriver in the slot and twist. Maybe there is a better or other ways? Going to far with the dremel wouldn't be good at all.

John
    -

ramseyman likes this.
  5. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

Sometimes gently twisting forwards and backwards will make the olive slide off.
    Or bashing the coupling onto the olive will help slide it off.
    Cutting the olive with a hacksaw will work.
    Or there’s always the olive puller or splitter.

ajohn likes this.
  6. ajohn

ajohn Screwfix Select

Decided to invest in a splitter to give one of those a go. I can use it on one of the pipes that is very easy to replace. Even if it goes wrong I can still use it to get the olive off it's union with the heatstore tank. ;) It's just a straight piece of 22mm pipe.

There's too many reports of pullers not working or belling the end of the pipe on Amazon.

Thanks for your help.

John
    -