3 port valve with no mid position ?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by ajohn, Dec 7, 2018 at 10:14 PM.

1. ajohn

ajohn Member

Things don't seem to be very clear on these. Already bought one but it turned out to be an A or A&B. Ok for hotwater on A but heating runs at a different temperature so A & B not a good idea.

So need spring return to hot water and power to change to heating ie a pure A or B. The one that is on is 3 wire - one is earth.

I seem to be having problems locating one that will do this. Any ideas? Many now seem to be 4 or 5 wire so perhaps they can be wired to work this way. Or the correct type of 3 wire. Ideal source would be screwfix or toolstation but a valve type number would help. Not keen on spending much as the boiler will probably be going next year. :mad: The current one has gone sort of mid position at times on hot water only and as it's also getting into heating never gets there.

John
    -

2. Mike83

Mike83 Well-Known Member

3. ajohn

ajohn Member

:) Thanks £69 off ebay so bought one. It's funny how these things always act up as winter comes along. Not really I suppose it usually just on hot water only.

:rolleyes: When we do replace the boiler I'll probably be asking what to replace a boiler with a small heat store built in for indirectly heated hot water and very preferably vented as well. :( Why oh why did Bosch not carry on making them when they took over Worcester.

John
    -

4. heatyman

heatyman Well-Known Member

What is wrong with a combi? You can plumb the heating circuit through a Yplan as well if you want a cylinder.

5. nigel willson

nigel willson Well-Known Member

Is called a diverter valve!

6. nigel willson

nigel willson Well-Known Member

Or an s plan! Otherwise need two port valve as Well!

7. kiaora

kiaora Well-Known Member

Hi
    I think you may have got the wrong type, you need a 5 wire mid position.
    And cylinder stat?

Then you can have both or either! H/w and/or c/h

Regards
    Peter

8. ajohn

ajohn Member

No I need a 3 port A or B 3 wire spring return. The reason for replacing it is that it's gone a bit A&B.

So called W plan but for higher hot water demands but it just takes just 3 to 4 mins to heat what it needs to on hot water if the hot water is run for long enough. It use a rather small heat store to indirectly heat the hot water at mains pressure. When the store has been depleted the water still runs warm. The general idea is a bath can be run and say 4 min later another can be run. It is a bit like a combi really but no water heating lag at all. That was something of a problem when it was installed.

John
    -

9. The Teach

The Teach Well-Known Member

The 3 port valve is maybe specific to your appliance,getting the correct valve & actuator makes fitting easier due to location and some actuators have a moulded on plug to fit the pcb.

Which appliance do you have ? or a photo of the valve & actuator will help find replacements ;)