3 port valve with no mid position ?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by ajohn, Dec 7, 2018.

1. ajohn

ajohn Member

Things don't seem to be very clear on these. Already bought one but it turned out to be an A or A&B. Ok for hotwater on A but heating runs at a different temperature so A & B not a good idea.

So need spring return to hot water and power to change to heating ie a pure A or B. The one that is on is 3 wire - one is earth.

I seem to be having problems locating one that will do this. Any ideas? Many now seem to be 4 or 5 wire so perhaps they can be wired to work this way. Or the correct type of 3 wire. Ideal source would be screwfix or toolstation but a valve type number would help. Not keen on spending much as the boiler will probably be going next year. :mad: The current one has gone sort of mid position at times on hot water only and as it's also getting into heating never gets there.

John
    -

2. Mike83

Mike83 Well-Known Member

3. ajohn

ajohn Member

:) Thanks £69 off ebay so bought one. It's funny how these things always act up as winter comes along. Not really I suppose it usually just on hot water only.

:rolleyes: When we do replace the boiler I'll probably be asking what to replace a boiler with a small heat store built in for indirectly heated hot water and very preferably vented as well. :( Why oh why did Bosch not carry on making them when they took over Worcester.

John
    -

4. heatyman

heatyman Well-Known Member

What is wrong with a combi? You can plumb the heating circuit through a Yplan as well if you want a cylinder.

5. nigel willson

nigel willson Well-Known Member

Is called a diverter valve!

6. nigel willson

nigel willson Well-Known Member

Or an s plan! Otherwise need two port valve as Well!

7. kiaora

kiaora Well-Known Member

Hi
    I think you may have got the wrong type, you need a 5 wire mid position.
    And cylinder stat?

Then you can have both or either! H/w and/or c/h

Regards
    Peter

8. ajohn

ajohn Member

No I need a 3 port A or B 3 wire spring return. The reason for replacing it is that it's gone a bit A&B.

So called W plan but for higher hot water demands but it just takes just 3 to 4 mins to heat what it needs to on hot water if the hot water is run for long enough. It use a rather small heat store to indirectly heat the hot water at mains pressure. When the store has been depleted the water still runs warm. The general idea is a bath can be run and say 4 min later another can be run. It is a bit like a combi really but no water heating lag at all. That was something of a problem when it was installed.

John
    -

9. The Teach

The Teach Well-Known Member

The 3 port valve is maybe specific to your appliance,getting the correct valve & actuator makes fitting easier due to location and some actuators have a moulded on plug to fit the pcb.

Which appliance do you have ? or a photo of the valve & actuator will help find replacements ;)

10. ajohn

ajohn Member

Arggggggggggggg
    The part number posted earlier is the correct one. However when I received one I shoved the manual lever to the other port position and looked at where the ball was - oh no it's a A - A&B so ordered another where the listing stated definitely A or B. It was exactly the same. Phoned honeywell. It turns out that the manual lever is only for setting A&B for filling and doesn't drive the ball all of the way. Power does. :rolleyes: The faulty one has a latch position in the middle so expected the same.

So now I have a complete spares kit. Problem. They last a long time - usually I hope - and the boiler will be replaced long before a new one should wear out.

John
    -