3-way directional valve issue

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Markdarren, Jan 31, 2023.

1. Markdarren

Markdarren New Member

I was having problems with my heating system. When I turned on the heating the hot water would heat up too I was advised it was my three-way directional valve which I replaced correctly regarding the wires in the junction box etc. Now I'm still getting hot water and heating at the same time again. The small pin at the bottom of the directional valve box isn't moving in any direction when I select heating or water. What do you think this could be guys, a stuck/seized valve ?

2. Notnowvicar

Notnowvicar Screwfix Select

take off the motor head and move by hand.

3. Markdarren

Markdarren New Member

The valve does move with a spanner very easily. But it seems to be when the motor is off you I can feel the spring and resistance when you move the pin side to side on the motor but the moment you place the motor on the valve there's no resistance it's feel very loose from one end to the other.

4. heatyman

heatyman Well-Known Member

What valve? Did you just replace the head?

5. Markdarren

Markdarren New Member

Yes, I replaced the head with a new one from Honeywell (3 way directional valve) and kept the original 3 way plumbing valve in place. It's just weird how I can turn the plumbing valve with spanner. But the moment I place the head on the valve you can't feel the resistance of the pin, it's just loose and doesn't move when turning on the heating or water

6. adgjl

adgjl Screwfix Select

What was the make of the original head? It is likely that a Honeywell head will only work with a Honeywell valve body. You also need to be aware that there are two types of three-port valve - a "diverter" and a "mid-position valve". They are not interchangeable and you must replace the original head/valve with the same type.

Kiaora oap likes this.
  7. Kiaora oap

Kiaora oap Active Member

hi
    the diverter has 3 wires, the mid position has 5,

good luck

8. Markdarren

Markdarren New Member

The old & the new Honeywell head has 5 wires (old one having brown instead of white plus the sticker on the old head says 2-way when I clearly have a 3-way port !!!!!!!). As the last guy said its because the valve isn't a Honeywell the head isn't moving the valve. So I've taken the head back. So I will replace both the head & the valve for a Honeywell all at the same time.

Many thanks for the tips.