3 way electrical socket switches

Discussion in 'Eco Talk' started by hershal, Oct 21, 2017.

1. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Well-Known Member

The difference is in the need. A washer woman has a need to wash clothes efficiently and effectively.

I have zero need to turn sockets on or off. Smart sockets are a solution to a problem I just don't have.

2. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Well-Known Member

Ahhh Dr B.....but do you solutions to problems you DO have ?
    ;)

And I have seen many dedicated non rcd ccts feeding large freezers and fridges...but usually in garages.
    I also have one in my house, by me, in kitchen..in case of trip whilst we are away.
    RS

3. robertpstubbs

robertpstubbs Member

You could use a relay to turn on a warning light (obviously on a different circuit) when the fridge power goes off. The grid style neons (17x30mm) are quite noticeable.

4. MGW

MGW Well-Known Member

Best option I think is a simple plug in emergency torch, it both alerts of power cut, and if dark shows way to torch so you can use it to find the fault, I got cheap ones from Lidi, it has black tape over the motion sensor. KISS.

5. billathome65

billathome65 Member

My freezers are on a separate cercuit. Just in case a socket trips the radial.

6. MGW

MGW Well-Known Member

I considered a separate radial for fridge/freezer, however then if it does trip will you know? Old house had central stair case, so with a power cut it could be dangerous going down unlit stairs specially the way my wife kept leaving stuff on the stairs, so I made the light an emergency light to remove the danger.

Many times I have been woken up seeing the light on, some times it was the RCD tripped, but main point it alerted me to power failure. Now caravan also has neons and lights on so walking past I could see when the power had failed, however I simply don't look for a light not on. So simply did not notice it had failed, until too late.

The one smart socket I have defaults off, so after a power failure even for a few seconds, it needs switching on again, it did a really good job, it powered the alarm for my mother, it auto switched off before the carers came, and switched on again when they left, and could also be switched on/off with a remote, so could switch it off before opening the outside doors.

It was removed when mother died and we moved back home, and now we have returned to mothers old house it just sits in a box, I simply don't have anything which I need to remotely switch. I do have some plug in units which have a remote, so for a temporary job I use them.

I have considered fitting it a few times, but needs a deep back box, and means can't have USB outlet, so it just sits there unused.