3 weeks after seeding

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by danny spencer, Jun 27, 2021.

1. danny spencer

danny spencer Member

Never seeded grass in my life until 3 weeks ago, the grass before was 95% weed all over which I killed off and dug out the old grass and dead weed. I then used a fork and turned over the whole garden and removed as much weed roots as possible. I then raked the garden to try and get rid of any bumps and dips which was a fair few of them. I then seeded and then covered with compost and watered 4 times a day for the first 2 weeks and twice a day last week. There is a fair few weeds growing back but nowhere as much as before I am waiting until Friday which will be 4 weeks since day 1 to walk on the grass to cut the grass. Question is should I use roundup again but this time the one that doesn't kill grass to kill off the weeds again and wait for 7 days then pull out carefully and give it a second seed or should I just cut the grass and seed again and then sort the weeds once the new lot of seeds have germinated and fully grown?.

Hers are some pics of the new grass.

Thanks

20210627_134514.jpg
    20210627_134506.jpg
    20210627_134432.jpg

Tricky Dicky likes this.
  2. Severntrent

Severntrent Screwfix Select

Selective weed killer not recommended untill grass is 6/8 weeks old and after 4cuts

3. Kingscurate

Kingscurate Active Member

No need to wait to cut grass, start now. May get rid of weeds as same time as weeds do not like being disturbed

4. Kingscurate

Kingscurate Active Member

Cutting grass often now will develop strong roots

5. spirits are real 2016

spirits are real 2016 Screwfix Select

Just pour whisky over it the night before..

6. David Steeley

David Steeley New Member

Don’t use Roundup, it will kill everything, grass and weeds. Once you start mowing the weeds should die off. Any that don’t can be treated with a selective lawn weed killer later next spring.

7. danny spencer

danny spencer Member

There is roundup that doesn't kill the grass too although I've never used that one

8. danny spencer

danny spencer Member

1st cut done

IMG-20210627-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20210627-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20210627-WA0003.jpg

9. Kas228

Kas228 Screwfix Select

If you want a fantastic looking lawn, then “little and often” is the way to go.
    If you have the time and patience (most people don’t) cut regularly cutting a small amount each time, this will also thicken it up quickly and any bare patches should quickly fill in.

10. danny spencer

danny spencer Member

This was cut on the highest setting would you say from the look of the grass it was cut too short or just right? Didn't want to takes too much off as don't want grass to be any less then 3 inch

11. Kas228

Kas228 Screwfix Select

Initially while it’s still young keep it quite long, then start gradually cutting it down during the next 3 to 4 months or so to your preferred length. I prefer somewhere in between for a nice looking lawn. Too short and it takes too much maintenance and is hugely affected by dry spells etc. Too long and doesn’t look nice. Somewhere in between is a sweet spot and will look great, stay greener, look fuller and just generally looks more “lush”. Depends what you prefer really for all I know you may want a bowling green (very short), personally I never cut very short for reasons above. Lot depends on how much time and effort you want to put in to it. I used to be like that but soon realised there’s more important things to worry about so just cut mine once a week or so and still looks great as long as we have a bit of rain now and again. Good luck and keep us updated.

12. Peter Burrows

Peter Burrows Member

Dont put anything on the grass for 12 months, the roots are still very weak and need to establish.

You can always spot weed thistle etc.

But please be patient and you will have a great lawn in 12 months time.

13. jimoz

jimoz Screwfix Select

Fair play I had a nightmare seeding mine in November. Should of just waited till spring. Used winter mix but ****. I really rate the loose luxury seed wilkos sell. I will top dress and re seed early autumn

14. danny spencer

danny spencer Member

Update on the grass and a few other improvements. Very happy with the outcome on my first time seeding.

Screenshot_20210825-205729_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20210825-205747_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20210825-205813_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20210825-205829_Facebook.jpg
    20210823_173850.jpg
    20210823_173843.jpg
    2021-08-24-21-02-39.jpg

15. Tricky Dicky

Tricky Dicky Screwfix Select

This time of the year, weekly grass cutting required. Don't take too much off in one cut, if the grass appears brown after cutting (perhaps the next day) you have cut the grass too short...
    Don't use any weed killers just yet.
    Regular cutting will remove any annual weeds quite quickly. Any tough weeds ie thistles need to be hand dug out before they get large. Your soil will still be loose and weeds are easily dug out on your new lawn.
    IMG_1506.JPG
    I've cut the grass too short on this occasion!
    You've done a good job on your new lawn, looks good from here.
    Regards