3036 board change....Reasons for/against....

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by barbaricduck, Jun 17, 2010.

1. barbaricduck

barbaricduck Active Member

Hello good people (and Sillys and TT!!)

Over past yr I have had clients that have had other sparx going round insisting that their old Wylex board needs changing. I agree/disagree 50/50% of the time.

A couple of reasons that it may require changing include being wooden backed, PFC issues (+6kA) and 'lack of ways' ie too many additions to it over the years.

Other than the above what do other knowledgeable types have to say on this.

All thoughts welcome; including TT and Sillys! xx

2. barbaricduck

And dont, please dont mention lack of RCD! Regs aren't retrospective! thanks!

3. steve CF

steve CF New Member

best board ever made.

how often do you have to replace one of those fuses.

4. barbaricduck

Very true Steve. Thats if you ignore the occasional scorch marks! But who's to say what the internals of a 20 yr old MCB looks like!

5. loosenup

loosenup Member

I had a prob last week with an old rcd on a TT system.Kept tripping for no reason, was told that they had drilled through cable and had it repaired.. checked connection ..all ok
    Earth Ze was 797ohm..ouch!
    cleaned up the rod got it down to 260. rcd still would not trip .. tested at CU ..nope Disconnect bus bar still would not trip.. pressed test button again .. still no trip.. standing in hallway telling customer the rcd was probably dead when the damn thing tripped out .. and not even connected to any circuits.I had pulled the neutral connection also. Agreed to change the rcd. when I removed it from CU the damn thing fell to pieces in my hand.. new rcd fitted all working fine..apparently it was about 16 years old legrand jobby.

6. the sparks

the sparks New Member

"Regs aren't retrospective!"

Are you sure about that?

7. barbaricduck

Hi Sparks,

Thank you for your petty comment! You cudda uttered something a lil more constructive or about the original post perhaps...Maybe next time eh..

Regarding your question; I am extremely sure that what I said is correct. If you know something to show otherwise I would absolutely love to know (along with the rest of the sparks throughout GB!) what this is.

Did you possibly see the letters R C D and go all jittery when replying?

I agree with Adam Amp that forum is getting beyond an england performance....

8. seemless

seemless New Member

"All thoughts welcome; including TT"

What the * has 'The Trician' done to upset you?

[Edited by: admin]

9. barbaricduck

TT, I am disapointed that a knowledgeable sort such as sparks can come out with such a pointless statement. It would not have bothered me at all if it was at least accurate. TT; why are you so ducking bothered? Thought you would be busy singing 'mirror mirro on the wall'!

10. barbaricduck

Ahhhh! I get you now TeeeTy! Bit tired, so I take it all back.... you smug *!

11. J.P.

J.P. New Member

I don't understand the PFC issues regarding the 3036 re-wireables?

12. J.P.

J.P. New Member

Its ok understand now..very low..but a problem?

13. barbaricduck

Not 100% on this JP, as late, drunk and tired mate!

Basically if a large fault current went through them they would not react very well! Whereas a 60898 mcb would be better suited.

Its good to hear a vaguely sensible person on here again!! Bravo!

14. Removed 4

Removed 4 New Member

I don't understand the PFC issues regarding the 3036
    re-wireables?

Neither do I, JP.

Nor do I understand that nonsense about Wylex so-called wooden-backed boards: Wylex have never had a 'wooden-backed board'. Those older Wylex units had a <u>hardwood</u> <u>frame</u>,which had (and still has) a superior ignitability resistance to latter day plastics.

Those of you who view a hardwood frame to a fuse box with horror, need a lesson in commonsense.

Take the case of such a fusebox installed during the 60's: It has lasted some fifty years - so why should it <u>now</u> be a fire risk, or any risk come to that?

Lucia.

15. J.P.

J.P. New Member

I can only look at it from a simplistic angle Barbaric..but if you look in the carriers (re-wireable carriers) then it always seems to have a fair bit of copper splatter and black sooty deposits from previous short circuits over time..and also for some reason it always seem to be more evident on the lighting carriers (from what I have seen anyway)..apart from that, yes the PFC is low (some what 1-2kA) and this more then likely shows up as said. But looking at it the fuse rupture is well contained, and I cannot visulise for one minute the carrier and holder flying apart..as the low PFC is taken into account in design, all but some time back.

16. J.P.

J.P. New Member

Concur Lucia..when I took my old Wylex board out (with re-wireables) and threw it away..must admit I did think what the heck am I replacing it with..it had to go but was not happy throwing it away.

17. J.P.

J.P. New Member

Probably threw a perfectly decent board away at the end of the day..flipping heck I fed it with a RCD in enclosure (when I first moved into my house) and the board had some B Types with carriers in as well as re-wireables..no nuisance trips or anything. Put the new splitloader in on my re-wire and nigh on immediately had nuisance trips trips due to a naffed RCD..makes you wonder sometimes really.

18. barbaricduck

I agree Lucia,

Wooden accessories, switchgear etc are generally pretty * safe. I rarely notice any char marks on them; faced/backed/framed or otherwise. But that is what the regs say, so thats what I follow (not blindly you understand). If I have to put my signature on a document then I am always going to follow the regs. I am not gonna leave myself in the brown stuff if one did ignite.

JP they (3036) are generally 1 and 2 as you say, and I am also pretty sure they would handle a good deal more, but again, the learned types of the IET inform me otherwise. So thats what I follow.

The max PFC is unlikely to exceed 16kA with exception to major city centres (dont know why? - Lucia??). But I reckon that 16000A could do a bit! So to speak!

19. J.P.

J.P. New Member

JP they (3036) are generally 1 and 2 as you say, and I am also pretty sure they would handle a good deal more, but again, the learned types of the IET inform me otherwise. So thats what I follow.

More then likely they already have Barbaric..to no detriment as such. You must have witnessed the spaltters and soot and stuff in the carriers..and have they blown apart or whatever?..I don't think so.

20. J.P.

J.P. New Member

City Ze and country Ze Barbaric?