1. Came off my ring main recently to install an appliance and noticed the voltage was approximately 340v. Any idea why this is and/or should I be concerned?

2. Hans_25

Hans_25 Active Member

What were you measuring exactly? Mains voltage is 230V RMS which is a peak of 320volts.

3. Mains voltage. I was putting a volt meter across the + and - in the junction box just to see if I had removed the correct fuse (old fuse box, not labeled), and noticed the high voltage.

4. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

I think you must have misread the reading. 340 V is too high for your supply. You would damage equipment with that level. The official voltage for single phase supplies to domestic premises is 230V +10% / -6% or 216.2 V to 253.0 V. This is information provided in Appendix 2 of the wiring regulations. If you are absolutely sure you measured it correctly report it to your electricity supplier.

5. Bazza

Bazza Well-Known Member

Do you have your meter on the correct range? You may get something like that if you have it set to DC instead of AC.
    What make/model of meter do you have?

6. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Well-Known Member

I would check the meter on another supply in a friends house. I reckon the meter is inaccurate.

7. nigel willson

nigel willson Well-Known Member

+ & - on an ac supply , interesting