36mm waste pipe issue

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Bodgeit Creepaway, Jan 25, 2009.

1. Bodgeit Creepaway

Bodgeit Creepaway New Member

Hi,

I wanted to move the waste pipe from the sink in my downstairs bathroom. At the moment its been fitted about 15cms away from the wall and i wanted to make as much space as possible by putting a slight bend in it with some angled fittings to redirect it to the wall. When i checked, its the old 36mm pipe and not the newer 32mm or 40mm available everywhere. can i get a reducer or any 36mm stuff from a plumers merchant, as i can't find anything at the local DIY places?

cheers in advance, The Nudge

2. G Brown

G Brown New Member

Either replace the whole lot or use a multifit adapter.

3. Bodgeit Creepaway

thanks for your reply. Could you point me to where I could get a multifit adapter? I'm coming up with zip on a search.

4. doing a bit

doing a bit New Member

sounds like a welded waste pipe, but if its 70s then is slightly over welded size, use a universal as suggested, screwfix sell universal compression couplings No15490, if its a bit tight warm one side in boiling water for a few mins and shove it on whilst its still soft, put the nut and washer on first ;)

5. tackleburger

tackleburger New Member

29220 if you can put it out of site. I use these a lot to convert from lead to ABS. Will work in your situation bit of boss white round the internal of the fitting nip it up don't overtighten job done no drama.

6. Bodgeit Creepaway

thanks for the replies chaps,

I am hiding it away so the rubber job would be fine. I might just replace the rest as well since its all old.

many thanks

7. Cornish Crofter

Cornish Crofter Active Member

Slightly off topic but I sometimes come across waste pipe variations on continental stuff. The most recent was a shower tray I'm fitting in our own bathroom, before I had an issue with a Tilux wetrom former gulley.

If the OP has a 36mm waste, there is a chance that it may solvent weld to the internal dia of either a 40mm solvent weld or a 40mm pushfit.

Alternatively would his 32mm waste pipe from the sink solvent weld into this 36mm?

If he can get to a modern standard size then he's got the option of a suitable compression fit, unless he's lucky enough to be able to go straight from his 32 to the 36 by sleeving the 36 over the 32.

If he's going to try this he'll first of all need to ensure he's got a snug fit between the pipes he's going to try to mate.

8. Bodgeit Creepaway

good points CC, thanks. I will probably go into a plumber merchants armed with all these options and see what i can get. You did answer for me something else, I'd assumed 32mm was the size for a basin and 40mm for larger stuff so thanks for clearing that up.

9. Dick Puller

Dick Puller New Member

I wanted to move the waste pipe from the sink in my downstairs.............You have a 'sink' in your bathroom??? Do you not mean wash basin??

10. doing a bit

doing a bit New Member

cornish man you cant mix pushfit and welded , you cant weld pushfit pipe as its the wrong type of plastic, as said use a universal coupling ;)

11. Cornish Crofter

Cornish Crofter Active Member

Stand corrected DAB, thank you.

The wet room former was connected using a length of push fit pipe straight into the compression fit on the gulley, so no solvent weld there ;)

What I wanted to do was use the supplied 40mm pipe coming out of the gulley and couple it onto the solvent weld pipe using a compression fit.

Unfortunately, European sizes are slightly smaller that ours. The compression fitting on the gulley was slightly undersize for the solvent weld but did accommodate the push fit, just. So I managed to assemble that up then used a compression fit elbow on the outside to connect it to the solvent weld.

OP, ignore any suggestion to solvent weld push fit.

12. soldering-on

soldering-on New Member

Will a McAlpine coupling not do the job!

13. Bodgeit Creepaway

Grrrr.

ok at the moment I have the following - on the current waste setup the pipes have been solvent welded. The exterior diameter pipe measurement is 36mm. The joint bends have "PLUMB CENTRE - 36mm 1 1/4" written on them.

Today i bought a flexi coupling and some 32mm 90 degree bends.

The 32mm bends have 32mm 1 1/4" written on the side!!!

how can 32mm and 36mm be 1 1/4" except if one is referring to the internal pipe measurement and the other the external? The internal measurement of the 32mm marked bend is in fact 36mm.

So obviously I am no plumber, but WTF!!!!! is this all a big game to laugh at the DIY'ers?? :)

So in effect the two are identical, even though marked differently, so i can just move and relpace the existing like for like, would push-fit work, or is it more secure to go for compression fit?

14. doing a bit

doing a bit New Member

push fit is 32mm and 40mm , welded is nearer 36mm and 42mm.

15. danjerdave

danjerdave New Member

Cut a small length of 40mm pipe to about 10 inches long. Now cut your 36mm to a good several inches long, long enough to be inserted into the 40mm pipe to approx half way, leaving enough to be joined to the next 36mm joint.
    Finaly cut a 32mm pipe to size that could meet the 36mm pipe inside the 40mm pipe leaving enough length to fit a 32mm pipe extension joint.

Now get busy with a tube of sealant rubbing plenty along the pipes to be inserted into the 40mm pipe then push them in untill they meet roughly at the centre of the 40mm tube. tidy up the seals making sure you cannot see any gaps between the tubing. check that the inside of the tubing is as clear as possible. I sent a wad of kitchen roll down from the 32mm side with a suitable stick to clear out the channel. Now leave it till the sealant cures.

Congratulations - You've just made your own adapter.

MESSIAH likes this.
  16. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Do you think there's a slight possibility that the OP sorted something out in the intervening eleven years?

17. danjerdave

danjerdave New Member

Hi WillyEckerslike. I was looking here yesterday coz i came up with the same problem and didnt get any useful answer... hopefully the above idea will be useful to someone else maybe tomorrow maybe in another 11 years who knows. but you answered up pretty quick for an 11 year old posting, i didnt even get time to turn me browser off.

MESSIAH and WillyEckerslike like this.
  18. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Hello Dave.

That's a fair point and certainly a creative solution.

The reason I was sarcastic is not your fault and I apologise. Resurrecting ancient threads is time consuming for those of us who are trying to help other posters as we have to read all the previous posts to a) check that the question hasn't already been answered, b) confirm that the suggestions made are still legal and c) identify if any of the techniques or solutions the current poster might be considering (based on answers possibly derived earlier in the thread) are still best practice or whether there's a new tool or technique which might be more suitable. Any new addition to any thread (however old) comes to the top of the list which is why you might get a speedy response.

The fact that you were able to resurrect the thread is a failing of the forum not yours hence my ire. If the thread was locked you would have simply had to create a new thread to share your solution with everyone. That would also have saved them from reading all the other posts and you could have included a link to the other thread but that's beside the point - you did what you did because you could.

It's not the longest thread thankfully but some of them are and they can be fairly tedious to go through.

I might be the only person who thinks like this about ancient threads but frankly they are a PITA.

Sorry once again. I hope this won't put you off contributing other solutions.

Willy

Timbo66 and Jord86 like this.
  19. MESSIAH

MESSIAH New Member

What about if pipe is inside of the ground like concrete and I can't dig it out? How to connect push fit into this pipe?