3Phase whats beyond

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by steed, Nov 26, 2003.

1. steed

steed New Member

I run a shop, with all our refrigeration, air con, door heaters, ovens etc at full load we would draw roughly 350amps (if everything was running full tilt). We wish to add more fridge space our fridge engineer suggests we upgrade our supply from the current 3phase (3x100amp).

What would be the next step?

I have spoken to my provider they said something about CT metering what is that?

cheers.

2. Milton Bradley

Milton Bradley New Member

It is where your demand is far too high fro a normal "whole current" meter, they fit a special meter, which has "Current Transformers" (remember A level physics?) that are linked to a special sort of remote meter to record the usage, as an ordinary meter will burn out at that level of current flow.
    Hope that helps.

3. gas monkey

gas monkey Well-Known Member

its an inferential meter

4. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

Best to speak with your supplier and get a quote. You need to know the potential load, that would set up your kva rating, from that they will decide if you need a new incoming cable etc. Internally you will potentially need to replace the DB, but depending upon how old it is you may get away with an upgrade to the incomer.

Remember that you pay a premium for the load you request, irrespective if you use it or not, so having the ability to get 160A will cost more than 100A in standing charges, so don't go mad get something that covers your needs with a bit of spare. Our factory is close to a step change and on a few days we go over our limit, but it's cheaper to pay the excess charge for those few days than it is to get the upgraded supply that is not needed for most of the time.

PS don't worry about CT chambers etc, the supplier will take care of all of that if you decide to upgrade.

5. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

It's a sixteen year old post Craig raked up by our troll.

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Yet again another old post dragged up, could be solved so easily by locking old threads, but sadly SFP,deem this action too drastic,would stop/reduce the troll's mischief.

Even if threads are locked, you can still link to them if needed,so I can't see why this isn't possible.[​IMG]

7. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

^^^Here here^^^

8. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

Ughhhh that will teach me to read the dates from the start

Agree with locking threads most other sites do it and does not seem to harm them MSE being an example.