45A DP Switch - Which brand?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Wheel-nut, Apr 27, 2004.

1. Wheel-nut

Wheel-nut Member

I need to buy two 45A DP Switches with Neon to supply a Double Oven and separate Hob.

In a vain attempt to match the square MK plates in the kitchen, I bought the Screwfix Select range. Big mistake! :( The switches fried the fitst time I turned all five rings on!

Are the Crabtree range of comparable quality to MK? MK do not make a 45A switch in a single box size. If not Crabtree, is there another good make which is available from TLC?

2. Fused

Fused New Member

A single sized b/box is very small and difficult to terminate your Hob/Oven cables in, even with the deepest type of b/box. MK are the best, and they are a bigger size for a good reason.

When you fried your previous switch did it trip/blow the circuit protection?

Are you happy about the cable rating from the CU for your Hob/Oven load?

3. Wheel-nut

Wheel-nut Member

The cable to and from each 45A Switch is 6mm T&E... no problem terminating it in s 35mm deep box.

I dismantled the failed switches and the rocket contact has burned and charred at the centre of the toggle rocker. It hasn't melted the contact; it has just charred the plated surface and on each switch, the NEUTRAL pole is open circuit when switched on.

Are the Crabtree ones any good? TLC stock several makes. Which is best? I'm in a tight spot and cost is no object!