4cm gap between vanity unit and wall...ideas to cover?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Kate Walsh, Jul 2, 2020.

1. Kate Walsh

Kate Walsh New Member

Good day chaps,

In our Covid DIY frenzy, we decided to tackle the downstairs loo, and now we have a gap issue, as you can see from the photos. There is a sizeable gap between the vanity unit and the wall. We can't think of how to get the unit closer without sawing into the skirting and pulling it off. There is also a gap at the top between the sink and wall. There will be metro tiles on there which will close the gap slightly but not enough.

I appreciate we probably got the wrong sort of unit but this is the one we are going with, so some constructive advice would be greatly appreciated. (after you've given us what for obviously!)

Idea's bandied around thus far include getting a grey furniture board and cutting out holes for the pipe work and skirting and sticking that on to the facing side to mask the gap, and attaching wood between the sink unit and the wall and popping some tiling on that 4cm to mask the wood...

Any suggestions welcomed.

Managed to change the toilet with no problems. Didn't think the flipping unit would be such a pain!

Thanks in advance.

K

Attached Files:

2. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

What brand is it? If it is a good UK make, then an approach through the suppliers to the manufacturers to obtain a plain matching infill piece, 8-10cm wide and full height. Scribe it to match teh skirting and pipes then fit.

The suppliers I use have infill panels in a variety of sizes and will even make custom ones.

3. Timbo66

Timbo66 Active Member

You've already notched out for the waste pipe, notch out for the others and the skirting.

4. Kate Walsh

Kate Walsh New Member

Thanks for taking the time to reply Mike and Tim,

Its a Bath Co unit through Victoria Plumb. I'm in the holding pen to chat with an adviser and we'll see what they say.

We'll be notching for the smaller pies and hopefully have the infill for the remaining little gap there.

Very helpful.
    Have a good day.

5. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

As above, notch out for the remaining pipes as you’ve done for the waste pipe - looks like that’s the plan as you’ve marked pipe positions on unit

Then cut skirting away so unit goes back against the wall. If you have a multi tool, this is the best way to cut skirting vertically and yank off and leaves a perfect cut edge

If no multi tool, can either chop through with a chisel or drill several holes through skirt and cut through with chisel and neaten edge

Often the wall isn’t perfectly straight so usual to scribe the unit to fit the wall. That way, should be able to pretty much close up the gap behind basin - allowing a smaller gap for tile adhesive and tiles to take care of

Can’t see a need for an infill panel myself - your still going to have to cut this around the pipes, no ?

What’s happening with the wall ? Gonna be painted ?

If so, caulk gaps between unit (they will be there !) and wall and this can then be painted in with the walls

Around pipes - looks a little too large so far - maybe a grey silicone to finish. Mapei do a range of coloured silicones that tie in with their grout range. Hundreds more available online

As you say, probably not the best choice of unit for this setting but, it’s what you’ve got so it’s a case of making the best job you can :)

You could ask the supplier for the RAL number of the paint as looks like a little touch up needed where it’s scuffed from the hole saw perhaps

Timbo66 likes this.
  6. Kate Walsh

Kate Walsh New Member

Evening Dave,

Great suggestions.

Thank you. the walls will be half tiled right round. As you say that will take some of the space away. Great tip about the Mapei silicone as that is the grout we are using.

Really glad I came across this forum. I’m sure there will be other issues to deal with, if not this adventure then the next. I suspect that will be replacing laminate flooring.

Have a grand evening all.

K

7. masterdiy

masterdiy Screwfix Select

What about, cutting off the rear feet & placing them forward under the end of the horizontal bar. Glue & screw in position.