5 Amp SO's..:)

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by JP., Sep 5, 2009.

1. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Afternoon guys.

I have 6 x 5 Amp S0's to fit in my front room (all via plate switch on t'dedicated RCD side of splitloader).

In stock I have plenty of 13 Amp SG SO's however I have no 5 Amp outlets.

I want to avoid potentially unnecessary cost by using the 13 Ampers instead of the 5 Ampers and see no problem with fitting these.

However on a professional level is this ok..ie would you guys do the same in this situation?

Thanks if there are any replies..:)

2. X

X New Member

on a professional level

If there is a need for the 5 Amp sockets then you could use them...

However..

Over the years I have found that the 'need' doesn't really exist any more, individually fused plugs on table / side / standard lamps seems to be a easier method.

However if its a dedicated lighting circuit thats switched / dimmed from a central point then you have to concede that it has to be limited by the MCB (maybe 3A)

3. seneca2

seneca2 New Member

has to be limited by the MCB
    ---------------
    Or an fcu of course.

4. Removed 4

Removed 4 New Member

"On a professional level" doesn't come into it, JP, because you're not a professional - not in this game anyway - you're just a gifted amateur, and this work is a DIY exercise in your own home.

I'm sure that you already know the answer to your question. Yes, you can do it, but if you ever decide to sell your house, then I know that you would have the sense to change those 13A outlets to the 5A type (or 2A - if the MCB is 6A).

Lucia.

5. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

X, Sen and Lucia many thanks.

6. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

Sonly £30 odd quid JP!

Get yer wallet out tight wad! ;)

7. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Thanks Sine..I suppose I will have to fork out..but with the 13 Amp SO's I mean you can just plug the already plug fitted table lamps and uplighters etc in without having to fit the 5 Amp plugtop.

I might put the 13 Ampers on, or as you say shell out the 30 odd squids for the 5 Ampers.

8. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

Alternatively just label up all these 13A sox with a proper label maker stating 5A only lighting.

Might look a bit toss if U can see em all from t'sofa but whats the worst that can happen?

Oh aye the MCB will trip.

9. sparkybird

sparkybird New Member

on professional level, a really bad idea - How will you be able to tell the different between a 13A socket protected by a 6A mcb or a 32A???

Plug in the hoover and trip away...

Maybe that's why the make the 5A ones different??

10. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Thanks Sine..yes I was thinking about marking them up..at the end of the day I mean the missus wont plug owt into them and even so what the heck. There will be probably 4 in use at once and I have two spare for lighting changes..its all dedicated via RCD and 6 Amp MCB and switched from outside the room. From a Regs point of view cannot see any infringemaent whatsover its all done in 1.5..I mean if wanted to I could break it at say 10 with the 13 Ampers on but I like the 6 Amp MCB so will just use that in case I buy the 5 Ampers. I've got plenty of sockets in the room on the Ring Final so they are just sort background things I suppose. Expensive game though electrics I must say.

11. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Thanks Sparkybird..:)

12. Ian Curtis

Ian Curtis Member

Why not just add some extra sockets on the ring to supply these plug in lamps?

13. Removed 4

Removed 4 New Member

Why not just add some extra sockets on the ring to
    supply these plug in lamps?

Because he wants to control the lights from the light switch. Silly Billy!

Lucia.

14. removed 9

removed 9 New Member

I concur.......

x