5 Day 'Part P' Courses, the facts

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by The Electrical Yoda, Jul 2, 2007.

1. 2391

2391 New Member

i was trained for 3 years how to install and test correctly that was 15 years ago and still dont know it all, not saying that 5 day course makes you dangerous but some people complete them and think they know it all, and don`t realise when there work is dangerous these are the people that shouldn`t be allowed to sit 5 day course.

2. MR DIAZ

MR DIAZ Active Member

i was trained for 3 years how to install and test
    correctly that was 15 years ago and still dont know
    it all,

You´re joking there are you not. with 3 years training and 15 years experience after that you still can not test ?????

3. cliffy brown

cliffy brown New Member

Its always the things you want to know that somtimes
    you dont get told.A great idea airing your course
    content in public and taking feedback on board.Wish
    you all the best with it.P.S 100th reply to this
    thread do i get anything free?

yeah pick yourself a new username

4. Joelp1

Joelp1 New Member

when i did my 4 day course (5 days is for thickies lol), my mate was also there. He would make a good example of they the short courses arent for everyone! It mostly baffled him, he struggled with the test at the end, and when he did an electric test with a national company, the guy said he didnt have the first clue about electrics . So he wasnt allowed to do his own electrics and had to pay me to do them. He obviously has no chance of passing an NIC inspection either.

So its not like these courses are a license to be a cowboy, you can still fall short of the mark.

I must confess to be quite bemused that anyone would tell me im incompetent, my total experience with electrics is about 2 years as a bodger before part p was introduced, a 4 day course and daily experience since. The chief health and safety chap at work has absolute confidence in my work - and was quite please when i got 100% in his little test.

5. KidCurry

KidCurry New Member

I have spent some time looking at number of so called professional forums on the web. Almost without exception everyone who is skilled is against anybody trying to better themselves by going on an intensive course to retrain – whatever the trade.

Its all very well being able to sit back in the lucky position of having secure employment for years to come and be able to have that attitude towards others not in the industry.

But before you pour scorn on anyone else, think of this: if suddenly the world of electrics was revolutionised and suddenly only a handful of people were needed in the industry what would happen to all those highly skilled electricians? Would they all be happy to start on a 3 or 5 year training course? Or would most people want to try an intensive course? I think most electricians would feel they had enough about then to be able to tackle an intensive course.

It’s all very well having done the hard way of training, many years of day release etc. I did exactly that with my chosen profession many years ago. Now at 50 I find myself redundant with the industry I qualified disappeared. I am not ready to be a “meeter and greeter” at B&Q(apologies to those who do that) but the options really are few and far between. I’m not ready to be hung out to dry and wait for the pension and the bus pass, but I also don’t want to start something that works on a day release basis as they take too long. Having done electrical bits through my life and read a few books, am sure that I have got enough about me to be able to do all the necessary calculations and do the work according to the regs and be safe. I need a course that covers everthing but in a short space of time. I’m not looking for an easy ride into another profession – I am prepared for hard work and ready for residentials and evenings and weekends – whatever it takes. I’m sure that is what most skilled electricians would want if they found themselves in the same situation.

So is anyone prepared to be helpful and recommend any courses anywhere?
    I personally would travel anywhere in GB to attend a course if it was a good one.

Martin

6. partpdoctor

partpdoctor New Member

hi kid curry
    i am at jm training in manchester...
    we do the DISQ course....
    is that helpful?

7. Well said that Mr curry!

8. KidCurry

KidCurry New Member

Hi partpdoctor
    Do they have a web site with the details or do you have an email address/phone number I could use to conteact them for details. Manchester is 40 mins across the pennines from me.

Thanks

9. partpdoctor

partpdoctor New Member

www.jmtrainingconsultants.co.uk
    talk to jill, she will help you...

10. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds New Member

Shall I take that to mean that you also cannot justify the need for 3 years of training?

11. part.p

part.p New Member

Its always the things you want to know that
    somtimes
    you dont get told.A great idea airing your course
    content in public and taking feedback on
    board.Wish
    you all the best with it.P.S 100th reply to this
    thread do i get anything free?

yeah pick yourself a new username

what like charlie brown and peanuts.My username does not refer to the approved doc but only to my love of beer part p*** cant see your post added much to this topical debate.

12. Sparx

Sparx New Member

Having waded through 10 pages of this I just wonder why I did 5 year apprenticeship, spent further 40 years 'honing skills' took on part time lecturing at local tech to find out i was born 40 years too soon!!!
    I could have become an instant expert on a five DAY course instead!
    The point about Part P is you don't need any of it, you just pay a fee for each job up front to LABC, locally £80 for a complete installation, don't have to do any test sheets, they send out a moron with a tick-box sheet to make sure cables run in right places & that's it!!
    As an ECA member , NAPIT part P registered I have 2 annual inspections need to keep paperwork up to date, cal. instruments, have massive insurences, etc. etc.
    WHY BOTHER, thank ODPM i've only got 5 years or so till I retire, the lunatics have surely taken over the asylum!