5000 Watt Inverter Generator Setup for Truck

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by bmccsxee, Jun 6, 2018.

1. bmccsxee

bmccsxee New Member

I'm looking to create a complete parts list and diagram for a 5000W pure sine inverter generator setup for my truck. I've decided that I want this inverter and this backup battery. This is the vehicle battery, and this is the alternator. I'm basically just going off of the following information: (1), (2), (3) The questions/thoughts I have are: I don't know what kind of isolation relay I need. How do I determine what gauge wires I need for specific lengths, most importantly, the wires coming from the backup battery? Are copper lugs better than aluminum? How do I determine what amperage fuses to get?

2. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

This is a UK based forum all you references are for sites in the US. Are you doing this in the UK?

3. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

I would not use 12 volt, at least 24 volt, more likely 48 volt. An inverter generator is basic a generator where the output is converted to DC and then back to A.C. so the engine speed can vary, but output frequency stays at 50 Hz there are variations mainly used with boats where batteries are used to take peak demands.

However in the main they are bought as one unit, not a collection of units which are connected together.

I tried to use an inverter, charger, and alternators to boost the power from 4A to 13A at 230 volt. It was a failure, the inverter had a series of 16A fuses one for each FET but at 12 volt the FET's did not load share well enough and there was nothing to show when a 16A fuse had blown, so ended up with expsnsive blue smoke.

So I would say you need 24 volt forget 12 volt. Also could not find isolators at 500 amp at reasonable size, 24 volt half the amp load. So standard isolators can be used. Also found 60mm cable too stiff, so used 25mm x 2 so I could route it around the boat.

Batteries were a bit under sized, used 3 x 160 AH needed double this really, so looking at a lot of weight, not a problem with a narrow boat, just remove some ballast, but on a road vehicle you may find them too heavy.

The idea was to run a washing machine, we had a 4A shore supply, and two 80A alternators on the engine, by getting a 6A supply we could use washer direct so inverter abandoned.

There is a firm called Sterling who make alternator to battery, and battery to battery inverters, so you can take the feed from two alternators and feed to one battery bank, there are also special inverter alternators 5kva which can supply at 50 Hz through a range of engine speeds. To fit the latter the front pulley is changed think 5 v belts, and this would have required removal and befitting of the engine, I am told they work well, but independent of traction electrics.