60cm oven into 80cm gap and new hob

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by makedoo, Feb 17, 2019.

1. makedoo

makedoo New Member

This is all fairly new to me so please bear with me, In my new (to me) house I have a 10+ year old 80cm wide free standing dual fuel range cooker that is faulty and requires replacing, due to multiple faults with thermostats and switches. Its an odd size so I cant get a direct replacement without going outside of my limited budget, it is sat in between a fixed base cabinet and a free standing washing machine, with a cooker hood over the top.
    I do have a nearly new 60cm wide built in self cleaning oven from my previous house in storage, and would need to fit a hob, preferably gas over the top.
    I looked into purchasing an 800mm carcass and dropping the oven centrally into that but that would leave 10cm of open space either side of the oven, and the 80cm cabinets have a central vertical support that i would have to leave out when assembling.
    Alternatively I looked at using a 60cm cabinet that would fit the oven directly and siting it centrally in the gap, and using filler panels each side of the oven, but am worried this would look terrible.
    And the last problem of fitting the hob into a worktop between two existing worktops, is there any way to make this look less bodged than I imagine it will? the boss would be very pleased with a range style 5 burner gas hob over the oven.
    Any help at all with his would be greatly appreciated.

2. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Fit a 600 unit for the oven and a 200unit by the side, unless I'm missing something you should be able to cut out for the hob in situ.

3. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Fitting the oven will be ok. Either do what Jord sugggests, use filler panels, wine rack etc, anything to make the gap up.

Another solution is to see if the gap could be ‘relocated’ elsewhere that is less noticeable by moving some cabinets around. Easier than you think, and tbf, you’re going to struggle to find a decent solution to your hob dilemma without removing and fitting new worktops.

It’s all doable, depending on your budget and what you deem to be an acceptable finish. You may find that a new range cooker works out cheaper unless you can diy everything.

KIAB likes this.
  4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

With some thought might be able to move units about to gain 100mm for a 900mm dual fuel range.

5. Jimmycloutnail

Jimmycloutnail Screwfix Select

That would look the neatest, The only issue would be the extractor hood would be off center but if op is able to move over would work

6. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Stick up some pics.

kitfit1 likes this.
  7. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

As GB has said some pics would help a lot.

My thought on this is to make it look less bodged and make a "feature" of it. If the oven you have in storage has a stainless steel finish, the following could look ok.
    Fit the oven housing centrally, then use 100mm fillers either side of it. You could then go to a metal fabricator and have 2 100mmx720mm sheets of stainless steel cut, these can then be glued on top of the 100mm fillers.
    For worktop, you could just use solid oak or any timber of your choice to blend or contrast the existing worktop. The cutout size for a 5 burner hob is the same as that of a 4 burner hob, the surface of the hob is the wider part so it will fit fine within the space of the oven housing.

8. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Fully agree on using oak or similar to do the top.