695mm worktop - what to do behind cooker?

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Michael_de, May 18, 2022.

1. Michael_de

Michael_de New Member

I am looking at replacing an existing laminate worktop with solid wood. Along one wall there are a myriad of pipes etc and the solution was to use deeper worktop at approx 695mm and bring units forward slightly. The cooker is standard 60x60cm freestanding job and currently there is 95mm depth laminate worktop run along the back rather crudely between the two main sections either side of the cooker.

When it comes to replacing the worktop, does anyone have any alternative suggestions for this section? Picture attached that probably does a better job of explaining. Cheers.

Attached Files:

2. Tilt

Tilt Screwfix Select

It would look better if the cooker surface was flush with the worktop surface.

Shouldn't look too bad in wood, if the run is done in one piece.....

Or how about building that section out, a bit like a chimney breast.......

3. Busterhymen

Busterhymen Active Member

I agree with Tilts idea about a built out chimney feature because if I tried to cut that worktop in one piece I'd probable snap it! How about a fake grid/vent at the back of worktop?

4. Hausfix

Hausfix Well-Known Member

Thinking out of the box and bearing in mind you are willing to invest in the expense of a solid wooden worktop, would it not be time to look at getting rid of the freestanding cooker and filling that gap with a built under oven and separate hob that’s inset into the worktop?

Dan dan the man and Redseven like this.
  5. Dan dan the man

Dan dan the man Active Member

I agree with hausfix….it’s 2022 not the 80s!

Hausfix likes this.
  6. Busterhymen

Busterhymen Active Member

Maybe the old knacker has a family history emotional attachment, and look at the character with the chrome peeling off the plastic knobs.
    It's also mis-fitting with gaps between units and overhanging worktops. It does seem strange to replace the worktops and intentionally keep the eyesore of the kitchen.
    In view of the rules wrt wall unit proximity above hobs, and gauging from a 150 tiles, the pelmet aligns vertically to the edge of the hob, so must be a 450 - 40 = 410 above the hob. I'm no experts but I thought that this distance should be a min of 460 to comply with the rules?

7. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

There has been some degree of upgrading since original instal, around the 70s (?) as don’t remember USB sockets being around back then !

8. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Top marks to the owner as that kitchen being from the 1980's has been remarkably well looked after to be in that condition today.;) Lesson to be learned from this is yes money does matter and is more than often hard earned!

Decorated a few over the years a lot were MFI Schreiber, which were a reasonable quality product at that time.

Last edited: May 20, 2022
  9. Michael_de

Michael_de New Member

Thanks for all the comments and thoughts - much appreciated! I should have said that we are doing a general refresh so planned to get a new 60cm freestanding range cooker and will be tiling walls and painting the units etc.

I had considered fitting an oven and hob but to be honest I liked the idea of having the worktop in more manageable sizes as it would be 3.8m long if it were all one piece. I don’t really have any help beyond my wife and 1 year old!