80a main fuse

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by seneca2, Dec 29, 2007.

1. seneca2

seneca2 New Member

Hi all,
    Is it generally ok to replace a 60a bs1361 main fuse with an 80a one? It`s a 1950`s house, tns supply, lead sheathed incoming cable. Just wondering if incoming supply cable size has to be considered although I see plenty of 80a fuses used with this type of supply cable.
    regards.

2. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Mines exactly the same..house built in the 50's..TN-S supply and lead sheathed cable with main earh sweated to lead etc.

Looks like 16 mm and the cutout rating is 100 Amp.

So if you check patency of cutout position then 80 Amp fuse should be no problem?

3. Joelp1

Joelp1 New Member

have you actually blown the 60A fuse? You're not meant to mess with their equiptment, so i wouldnt unless it had blown. Its incredibly unlikely you will blow the fuse in normal or even extraordinary use.

In fact, ive never heard of a main fuse blowing. Any one else?

4. prosparks

prosparks New Member

Its incredibly unlikely you will
    blow the fuse in normal or even extraordinary use.

In fact, ive never heard of a main fuse blowing. Any
    one else?

Loads of times !! Always carry 60A and 80A so I can get my customers up and running at once.

5. Lokkars Daisy

Lokkars Daisy New Member

Yes I have ,in a small guest house, a 60A one , faded away rather than blew, after many years of use.
    It had done incredible well considering it supplied two electric showers, two oversink instant water heaters
    various electric fan htrs/fires, a kitchen with electricgrilles, cookers etc all on the go preparing cooked breakfast.
    It is surprising how much they can cope with

6. seneca2

seneca2 New Member

have you actually blown the 60A fuse? You're not meant to mess with their equiptment, so i wouldnt unless it had blown. Its incredibly unlikely you will blow the fuse in normal or even extraordinary use.<

Yes, 60a fuse blew, this is a rewire job i`m doing, inhabited so having to install new circuits etc alongside existing so they can still have some circuits working. I moved one of their sockets away from the wall and `bang`. Someone had hacked out the metal backbox with something like a hatchet and the sharp edges had been cutting into the insulation. It was all still working on the old wylex re-wireable board, the 30a fusewire didn`t blow but the 60a 1361 did. Probably as much through age as anything else. As they want a 10.5kw shower I reckon 80a would now be more appropriate,
    regards.

7. seneca2

seneca2 New Member

have you actually blown the 60A fuse? You're not meant to mess with their equiptment, so i wouldnt unless it had blown. Its incredibly unlikely you will blow the fuse in normal or even extraordinary use.<

Yes, 60a fuse blew, this is a rewire job i`m doing, inhabited so having to install new circuits etc alongside existing so they can still have some circuits working. I moved one of their sockets away from the wall and `bang`. Someone had hacked out the metal backbox with something like a hatchet and the sharp edges had been cutting into the insulation. It was all still working on the old wylex re-wireable board, the 30a fusewire didn`t blow but the 60a 1361 did. Probably as much through age as anything else. As they want a 10.5kw shower I reckon 80a would now be more appropriate,
    regards.

8. Lokkars Daisy

Lokkars Daisy New Member

You blew it twice !!!

9. seneca2

seneca2 New Member

No, don`t know how that happened Lokkars!

10. X

X New Member

I moved one of their sockets away from the wall and `bang`.

Got to be a moral there...

11. *welsh.wizard*

*welsh.wizard* New Member

Seneca, Same details as mine. Asked Western Power, for an upgrade, and fair play - they were there within two days.

Was a 60A, they upgraded to an 80A. They had to change the housing because it was so old - They couldn't do a "straight swap" with the fuse.

So, based on that - be careful, sir.

12. sparkybird

sparkybird New Member

You'll probably be OK with the 60A (look in the Regs fuse curves graphs to see how long you have to pull 60A for it to go!) In the past I have contacted DNO for similar situation (ie installing big shower in house with 60A main fuse). They just laffed and said they wouldn't bother changing it!

No problems to date...

SB