8mm x 140mm Screws Into 3" by 2" Struggling

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Carl_m, Dec 10, 2018.

1. Carl_m

Carl_m New Member

Hi, I'm Build something out of 3" by 2" pressure treated timber and I'm using 8mm x 140mm long screws(13997 code on screwfix) using the ERBAUER ERI6041PD impact driver and the problem I'm having is the screws only manage to get half way through the wood then the driver struggles to do any more. If you try any more it still makes the hammering noise but doesn't move the screw any more. I'm using the correct bit size and the battery is fully charged so not sure why it wont drive it in? I've seen plenty of youtube videos showing the same tool doing this job with no problem so I'm not sure whats going on.
    Thanks

2. fostyrob

fostyrob Screwfix Select

A driver shouldn't have any problem putting a screw through soft wood timber. You could try using a pilot hole but really shouldn't have to.

I don't know about the erbauer but the milwaukee driver I have has variable settings of how much force it applies. There is a "smart" that drives with varying force dependent upon the resistance encountered to I presume prevent shearing the screw. I would check the driver hasn't got a similar setting. Is the driver new? If so I would consider returning it for a replacement.

3. Carl_m

Carl_m New Member

Thanks for the reply, its only 6 months old and been used 2 or 3 times, it doesn't have settings to change. The impact hammering action only kicks in when its meets resistance. Might take it back and get a replacement

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Not familar with ERBAUER, the hammering noise is the clutch kicking in,basically impact driver lacks adjustable torque to match the work, got a Bosch GDX 18 V-EC impact driver, has no trouble driving in 140mm screws.

Sometimes the screw can be the problem, I usually use Timco screws or turbo coach screws, both from our host,needs no pilot hole, cuts itself through the wood.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
  5. fostyrob

fostyrob Screwfix Select

I suspect the driver is the problem rather than the screw. Mine will drive the screw and head through the wood given the chance. The only issues I have ever had is 300mm 8mm timberlok screws shearing when being driven through azobe even with a pilot hole.

Erbauer seem to get good reviews for the money so maybe you just got a duff one!

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

My Bosch is same,it has 3 speeds & variable impact rates, & on low it will easily drive a 200mm screw right through timber, if not careful.:D

7. Carl_m

Carl_m New Member

From what I've seen online it should do this no problem as you have said. Will take it back. Thanks for your help

8. Carl_m

Carl_m New Member

Have just replaced this with a new one and the problem is the same. Could the pressure treaded wood make a difference? Really can't understand why it's not working.

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Could very well be the wood,if it's damp, try driving same screws into some different timber you have & see if there is any difference.

10. fostyrob

fostyrob Screwfix Select

Whether the wood is pressure treated or not will make no difference.

Is this pressure treated softwood? Even if hardwood I would still expect the impact driver not to have a massive issue with an 8mm screw.

I suspect the driver is just not up to the task/hasn't enough power.

11. fostyrob

fostyrob Screwfix Select

Out of interest what model do you have?

12. Carl_m

Carl_m New Member

13. Carl_m

Carl_m New Member

Will try it into some garden sleepers and see if it's the same. The strange thing is I've seen people on YouTube build stud walls with this same drill with no problem

14. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Timber for stud walls is a lot softer than a lot of the exterior pressure treated timber.

One thing with the ERBAUER I see, it has low maximum torque 120Nm, compared to other impact drivers like Dewalt Bosch,Milwaukee,etc, 200-Nm - 300Nm,whether this affect it's overall performance using larger fixings, I don't know,as I've never use Erbauer.

15. Carl_m

Carl_m New Member

Might have to take it back and upgrade to a more powerful one.

16. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

One thing with buying a quailty brand like Bosch,Makita, once you have the batteries,charger, you can buy just the 18v tools bare, & add them to your collection.

17. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

I notice he's trying to put 8mm screws into timber. That is quite a thick screw. I'd certainly drill pilot holes for screws that thick.

DIY womble likes this.
  18. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Sorry mate but the problem is simple, Erbauer are complete Chinese cack and are not built to do what you require, irrelevant of specifications. Using a large coach screw or tek screw as you are would struggle most impact drivers on a good day.

19. Carl_m

Carl_m New Member

I don't mind drilling pilot holes just thought the driver would manage without them.

20. Carl_m

Carl_m New Member

So most drivers couldn't manage a 8mm 140mm screw in softwood?