900x900 Diagnal Corner Unit - Laminate Worktop

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Danny281, Jul 23, 2018.

1. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

£350 here also. Need me lad to help lug your 4.1M x 900mm worktop about. Plenty of cutting there - easy for a numnuts fitter to ruin your worktops.

And yes, no doubt I would end up levelling the units ;-)

Full days work I reckon, cutting and edging ends, sink cut out and sealed, 4 work top joints mitred and bolted.

kitfit1, CGN and Jord86 like this.
  2. Danny281

Danny281 New Member

Yeh i'm not against you lads charging what you can, just painful when you're on the other end of it :(

I might have a go myself, just didn't wanna **** them up too bad, and i didn't anticipate the price being so high.

3. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

By the time you buy a jig and a router 350 quid will sound cheap.

kitfit1 and CGN like this.
  4. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Day rate for the chap I use here in Surrey is £250, so I'd expect that plus odds n sods, £350 sounds about right.

Pay less and you'll likely end up paying twice.

kitfit1 likes this.
  5. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Easy for peeps to moan about price, but tot up worktop price. One wrong cut and you (the customer) will gladly pay for another length of worktop...won't you?!

Dan dan the man and kitfit1 like this.
  6. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

Just out of interest, what made you think that it would cost £150 in the first place ? You obviously did think that because when Dan dan the man said £250 you said it was £100 more than you were looking to pay.

7. Dan dan the man

Dan dan the man Active Member

Probably because he doesn’t earn that much....so why should anyone else

8. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

It could also mean he's one of the new "Buy to let" mob that just love to "live" of off other peeps doing a job of work for next to nothing. We've had plenty of them on the forums in the time i've been on here. Not saying he is, but expecting a self employed tradesman to be happy with £150 a day is fairly typical of those types of peeps.

Dan dan the man likes this.
  9. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

Perhaps it looked like a half day cash job to the untrained eye.

kitfit1 and Dan dan the man like this.
  10. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

Yep, could well have done metro. Maybe the OP should just post back and tell us one way or the other.

Mike83 likes this.
  11. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Screwfix Select

I don't think he was expecting that...

I don't think he was expecting it to be a day's work, maybe a couple of hours. His expectation of the time needed was wrong.
    If it did only take a couple of hours I don't think £150 is an unreasonable figure to have in your head.

Regards,

Cando

12. Danny281

Danny281 New Member

Exactly what metrokitchens and cando said, spot on.

Bloody hell that escalated quickly, me and the mrs just bought our first family home and we're in the middle of renovating it, not buying to let, and income has nothing to do with being unsure about paying for a job that at first appears very expensive for a few bits of cutting and sticking, to the untrained eye. This will be just one of many tradesman i've had work in the house and it is the only job that caught me off guard with price.

You'd do a lot better by just explaining why the job needs to cost that much, what difficulties and expenses are involved, instead of just assuming customers are poor, or on a low budget.

13. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

It costs what it does, because it's a days work. As has already been explained, there are also costs involved in being self employed, Van, tools, tax, NI. When you are self employed there is no such thing as sick pay or holiday pay. So as an example, that 2 weeks in Spain you may have had last year cost you say £2000 all in minus you holiday pay. For me that same 2 weeks will cost the same £2000 all in plus 2 weeks lost earnings, so that same holiday will cost me a minimum of £4000 but more likely nearer to £5000.

The first house you have just bought would have involved legal fees for your solicitor, probably over £1000 ? I would bet a weeks earnings that your solicitor would not have even spent a total of 8 hours working on your house purchase.....................i'd love to pull in £1000 for less than 8 hours work, as no doubt you would as well. You still had to part with the money though.

There is another thread on this site that's good example of what can and probably will happen when consumers make the wrong choices of tradesmen in relation to price. Have a good read of it and look at the pics..............that old saying "Pay peanuts you get a monkey" springs to mind.

https://community.screwfix.com/threads/looking-for-joiners-opinion-on-a-job.202587/

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  14. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

Look at it this way.

If you think it's expensive doing it right.

Imagine how expensive doing it wrong is.

15. Dan dan the man

Dan dan the man Active Member

Having read some of these replies it seems i need to adjust my prices! Seems im 10 years behind!
    No wonder I’m always busy

16. Scott Green

Scott Green Member

Compare the cost of a router, jig and cutter, to the cost of a bag of plaster and a paintbrush.

Thats why fitting tops costs more.

Dan dan the man likes this.