a lot of tiling! advice needed.

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by howard, Dec 17, 2004.

1. howard

howard New Member

I have 3 bathrooms and a small hall floor to tile. I will be using slate for the hall, 60mm ceramic and 300mm porcelain floor tiles for the bathrooms. would a standard tile cutter suffice (diamond blade grinder for slate)? or should i invest in a electric wet saw? If i where to get the saw, what type and can i throw my old tile cutter in the bin? thanks in advance! Also what slate sealer should i use as i have never laid slate before.

2. jasonb

jasonb New Member

Use your standard manual tile cutter for all straight cuts as it is quicker & cleaner.

Get a electric diamond wet cutter for the slate and all the odd cuts such as where you have to cut the corner out of the tiles. Plasplug do some reasonable ones for £20-30.

Don't forget to seal the slate before grouting.

Jason

3. cheekypainterman

cheekypainterman New Member

Hi Howard.
    Just finished laying 28sq mtrs of 600 x 400 porcelain tiles on the walls and floor in a client bathroom. Very nice, but they nearly drove me simple!! Had to get a special porcelain drill bit (see postings on this site) and all the cuts had to be done with a diamond blade fitted to an angle grinder. Because of the size of the tile, it wouldn't fit nicely into any tile cutter. Still got there in the end and the weather just held up for cutting them outside. The dust is tremendous. Good luck.

4. jasonb

jasonb New Member

Cheeky, get youself a decent Rubi manual tile cutter, they do ones that will cut upto 1000mm or there abouts, much quicker & cleaner than using an angle grinder.

Jason

5. dunc

dunc New Member

I used a Plasplugs diamond wheel cutter kit for quarry tiles. Worked very well. I was able to cut small sections and angles.

6. The guys here have pretty much covered everything you need to know.

Realistically the tools you require are professional quality and are not cheap. But as you have a reasonable amount to do and you are happy to tile yourself it may well be worth the investment in quality tools.

Take a look on the following website for all tiling related tools and equipment. Dave (who set up and runs the site) is a Pro Tiler and knows his stuff, nice guy too.

http://www.tradetiler.com/